orlando_xxx

Using Filters and/or Diopters behind a (Mini) Domeport?

Hi

I thinking of getting a domeport for wide angle work and i am wondering whether it makes sense to use diopters/filters behind a Dome?

What kind of red filters do use for shooting in natural light with a Dome? i have a 67mm "wet" filters and diopters but dont know if all that makes sense behing a domeport? Shall i screw the "wet" filters directly on the lens using stepup rings, lens diameter is smaller then 67mm.

Using diopters behind a dome possible or sometimes necessary? if yes, when makes it sense and will i loose a lot of optical quality when using diopters? The lenses i gonna use have a relatively small minimum focus distance of 0.25m / 0.82ft and the other of 0.20m /0.66ft

Thank you for your much appreciated answers and help

best

orlando

In general, you only need a diopter, behind a dome, when using a lens, (usually a zoom), which will not focus close enough, to focus on the virtual image created by the dome's optical properties. Objects at infinity, are placed in a virtual image twice the diameter of the dome I believe. Things closer, are proportionately closer in the virtual image.

I've never heard of a wet lens being used dry. It's not impossible I suppose. But the power of the diopter would be totally different, (much stronger) in air, than they are in water.

I suppose the wet filter might well work dry, if it clears the inside of the dome, and still allows zooming and focusing, without scratching your new dome from the inside.

Sponsors

Advertisements