Sign in to follow this  
mondo

Strobe Arms - Ultralite and TLC

Hi All

Just wondering if you can "mix and match" strobe arms and connectors between these 2 brands?

Best

Des

The same question recently came up on the uw-photo list. Here is Woody Mayhew's reply:

>Mix away. TLC and Ultra Light balls are the same diameter - 1". If in doubt

>about Inon then measure them. If the 0-rings are a bother, take them off.

>Function is not affected.

>Woody

Haven't tried it myself, but I'm sure Woody is correct.

Robert Delfs

They are largely interchangable. Many people swear the o-rings are a big deal (TLC doesn't have them). I, like Woody, find that not to be the case. I prefer the TLC for that reason (and think they look better) but both are great.

The same question recently came up on the uw-photo list. Here is Woody Mayhew's reply:

Hi Robert

Must've missed that one. Thanks!

Best, Des

Sea and Sea arms also fit the ULCS knuckle joint - but they are pretty crappy arms all round and based on my personnal use of them I would not recommend anyone buy them.

I have a complete mish mash of TLC, UL and 1" Ike arms, joints and connectors. All work together fine.

I also mix ULCS & Ikelite arms and it's mostly OK, except that I do find sometimes that if two different brands are held by one clamp, the holding power is not the same for the two arms, so it can be hard to get the full flexibility at the joint where the two systems meet.

Don't know whether that would apply to other mixes. And it sounds like other people don't have that problem...

-David

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements