highdesert

How to guesstimate import duty rate for lens, UK to US?

Greetings, all -

I guess the subject says it all ... looking at purchasing a UW lens online from the UK and having it shipped to the US. Already spent several hours searching for any kind of formula, duty rates by class of merchandise, anything. Does anyone have a lead for this kind of info? I'm a real tightwad, and even though the lens is a very good price, I'd like to avoid a surprise brought about by a stiff import duty.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings, all -

I guess the subject says it all ... looking at purchasing a UW lens online from the UK and having it shipped to the US. Already spent several hours searching for any kind of formula, duty rates by class of merchandise, anything. Does anyone have a lead for this kind of info? I'm a real tightwad, and even though the lens is a very good price, I'd like to avoid a surprise brought about by a stiff import duty.

Thanks in advance!

The official SLR lens tariff is supposed to be 2.3% or so depending on the size but if you can get your guy to mark it as a gift and less than $100 (illegal I know) then it is free. I don't know of anyone who has gotten into trouble with importing single packages to the U.S. but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Bill

Edited by bvanant

I'm surprised that you can find any photographic kit in the UK cheaper than it can be got in US.

The official SLR lens tariff is supposed to be 2.3% or so depending on the size but if you can get your guy to mark it as a gift and less than $100 (illegal I know) then it is free. I don't know of anyone who has gotten into trouble with importing single packages to the U.S. but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Bill

Thanks Bill - That's an amount I can deal with ...

One can find all of the tariffs online:

http://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/bychapter/index.htm

If you are really concerned, find the correct tariffs and have that put on the customs declaration when it is mailed. For assistance, once can also call the customs office and speak to an officer. I have found them quite helpful.

By doing the above I avoided all duty on importing my housing and strobe into the USA from Germany.

One can find all of the tariffs online:

http://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/bychapter/index.htm

If you are really concerned, find the correct tariffs and have that put on the customs declaration when it is mailed. For assistance, once can also call the customs office and speak to an officer. I have found them quite helpful.

By doing the above I avoided all duty on importing my housing and strobe into the USA from Germany.

Great info ... thanks for the tip! I tried to call Customs, finally found a general info number, called and listened to the 137-item menu, then was told I was the 19th call in line. I hung up. If, by chance, you have a more direct phone numbr, I'd love that! Otherwise, I'll simply refer to:

Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (2011) Annotated for Statistical Reporting Purposes

Chapter XVIII, 90-4, Heading 9002, Sub-Heading9002.19.00, Stat. Suffix 00

2.3%

Now isn't that easy??? Not ...

Edited by highdesert

Hi:

The Harmonized rate of Tarrif for the US spells out the details but is really difficult to read, too much legalese. The table states that camera equipment is free however I think there is a limit to the amount of free and I beleive it is $1,000USD. I imported a housing from Europe a few years ago and did not pay duty as it was valued under 1K. You can also ask someone at a local post office and you may get a more direct answer.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Greetings, all -

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors

Advertisements