I've been approached to do some photos of babies in a pool. I've already hunted around the forums and seen a few good posts, notably that a sheet making a blue background helps.

I'm assuming I'll shoot at the longer end of my 10-22mm (cropped sensor) to avoid distorting the little ones' faces - any comments please?

Also I've assumed I'll shoot with 2 strobes, and, as in a pool backscatter shouldn't be a problem, I thought maybe try using a 3rd off-camera strobe to add in some backlighting as per classic 3 point interview lighting. Any thoughts?

Appreciate any advice about models in pools. Tricks and tips?

remember that making sure you've covered off your "Duty of Care" issues is most important.

Make sure you check the dome for little bubbles, often. in the shallow water, there's not enough pressure to collapse them and they tend to collect on the dome.

take care,

john

I recommend shooting in the morning or afternoon in an outdoor pool when you can get a good mix of natural and strobe light. Make sure to get some shots of the mom and baby and dad and baby together.

Cheers

James

Will,

Make sure you have a current CRB check done to cover your ass, working with infants in the UK is a definate "no-no" without one.

Getting good skin tones is your goal, three strobes may well over expose them, also try using small apertures (f10 +) to get the exposures you need.

Babies tire very quickly in the pool, you'll need to be on top of your game and get it right first time, getting some practice in first with an adult model may prove time well spent.

Good luck big guy, see you at Bsoup and let me know how it went over a pint.

Nige Wade

Edited by under pressure

Sponsors

Advertisements