Aussiebyron

GREY NURSE SHARKS OF SOUTH WEST ROCKS

I had the opportunity to do some dives at the famous Fish Rock which is located near the small coastal town of South West Rocks, NSW, Australia. To those that dont know Fish Rock is one of the best dive sites in Australia. I am lucky to have two mates (Peter and Kevin) that own South West Rocks Dive Centre who look after me when I visit.

Fish Rock is also a critical habitat for the Grey Nurse Shark which is also know as Sand Tiger and Raggytooth Shark else where around the world. Unfortunately the Grey Nurse Shark on the East Coast of Australia is a critically endangered species.

Here are a few shots of thios beautiful animal taken with the Nikon D7000 asnd Tokina 10-17mm FE and dual Ikelite DS161 strobes:

5612193721_0d4a7832f0.jpg

5612194963_7a148e7309.jpg

5612779120_f06bf15952.jpg

5612780062_8e1bd3d744.jpg

5612782548_bf9dddb90f.jpg

Regards Mark

Well done Mark,fantastic images.Im always amazed at how the D7000 produces such clear images.I especially like the 3rd image

very nice.. love that shark!

Great images! The deep water sunballs look awesome.

Fish Rock is a spectacular site. Can't say enough great things about it - I wish I had been using a better camera when I was there!

Hi Mark

I saw your images on your flickr, and those sarks and teeth are really stunning.

The last one is my favourite, very nice pic!!!

Beautiful shots as usual Mark!!

Which spécies can be seen untill July , especially on June at south west rock ? :) Turtle , wobbegongs , leopard sharks and of course raggies ??

Beautiful shots as usual Mark!!

Which spécies can be seen untill July , especially on June at south west rock ? :) Turtle , wobbegongs , leopard sharks and of course raggies ??

Hi Girelle,

June at SWR you will have Wobbegongs in large numbers as they dont travel very far. Also you will have large numbers of Grey Nurse Sharks (sometimes 100+ in one Area). There are a few turtles and a resident Loggerhead named Josephine. You wont see Leopard Sharks at SWR as they prefer the the warmer waters further North. Also a good chance of see humpback whales coming through as its the start of their migration North for Winter.

July at Byron Bay will also have Grey Nurse Sharks but not in numbers like SWR. We get around 20+. We will have alot of Wobbegongs and possible more turtles than SWR. Last year around June/July we had a larger school of Baitfish which brought in hundreds of Wobbegongs and schools of fish and provided some awesome diving. There has been a small school of Baitfish coming in and hanging around which is a good sign for the next month or two.

Here is a small vidoe I took last year with my nikon D90 to give you an idea of the bait school action:

Cheers Mark

I also posted a video in the video section showing the amount of GNS that can be found at Fish Rock, SWR.

Cheers Mark

Sponsors

Advertisements