JACohen

Seacam Prelude for D 7000

What is the name of this shop ?

Kanau

www.kanausa.com

other prices:

www.sagadive.com

Edited by davichin

...so the argument that people would buy Seacam for it's quality at the expense of features simply does not hold water. (Excuse the pun)

Unfortunately Seacam lives in the same economic environment that we all do, and I think this is bad strategy. Bottom line is that other manufacturers are now able to produce full featured housings, arguably approaching the quality of Seacam, at a significantly lower price. Like everyone else, if they cannot drop their costs and price (maybe by shifting manufacturing elsewhere) they will not survive in the long run.

Obviously, Seacam thinks you are wrong :) They may have certain stats on sales figures the public may not have. For instance, Seacam made a Prelude for the Canon 60D but not the 7D, which is universally accepted as the better camera. Why? Could it be that the 7D is not selling so well for underwater photogs? According to industry types, the 60D is outselling the D7000 even. Still chosing a camera that is replaced every year is a risky proposition.

Wish I could own a Porsche, but my little S2000 runs quite well with those big boys. :)

Actually if I had the cash I'd still blow it on a really good looking Italian Job.

And doesn't that illustrate another point? Features aside, the Seacam has that certain prestige appeal, often because it's the most expensive. Humans are funny that way. How else can you explain why people still clamor for a certain Italian job that has sold out even though about 15 cars burst into flames? Or having your passenger hold the drinks because the manufacturer won't design cupholders for cars sold as GT cars? Badge appeal does work. As been shown by countless luxury brands, economic downturns didn't put them in red and some even had growth in the last 3 years.

Btw, if you want your Italian job, just get rid of the kids! :)

Working on it... :)

Damn, that's the secret, oh well, 15 more years before he's 18! :)

Working on it... :)

We did, but sometimes they boomerang, ouy!

Bob

... I remember the D7000 can allocate certain functions to different buttons so ISO control is available ...

Today I had a post from my friend Bob Gleeson, who has a SEACAM for a D7000 and is diligently trying to find functionalities beyond the obvious. He shared this with me:

<<Steve, (Share this with Liz and any other owners concerned with lack of ISO adjustment)

Manual ISO is fixed for me. Using the proper menu command you do not need the ISO button on the camera.

I finally dug through menus to the point where I found a menu under custom settings “Shooting/Display”, Selecting this option you will find a setting “ISO display and adjustment”, selecting this option gives you a setting “Show ISO/Easy ISO”.

When the “Show ISO/Easy ISO” is selected it replaces the images remaining display on the (top) control panel with the ISO setting. Since we do not have a window for the (top) control panel this is a no brainer. Even if the top control panel was important switching to either user mode will display shots remaining as long as the user mode was not disabled with “Show ISO/Easy ISO”.

When the “Show ISO/Easy ISO” is selected you can use the subcommand dial to reset ISO at will. The images remaining and the ISO are both displayed on the (back) monitor in the “Info mode” (press the info button) the only thing that was a little confusing until I turned my Japan brain on was that in M both subcommand dials are already occupied. You have to set the mode to A, S or P to get a free subcommand dial which allows you to change the ISO. Once the ISO is selected you can go back to M and shoot the selected ISO. When the camera is set up in the “Show ISO/Easy ISO” all of the actions needed are made while looking at the monitor and it is very quick and easy to do.

Bob>>

Something funny happenned to me on saturday. I went diving with the Hugyfot D7000 for the first time and, since I thought hugyfots and nikons are more or less the same, I did not study the camera properly. So I was underwater and tried to change WB (which I do much more than ISO) and THERE WAS NO WB BUTTON! ,I could not believe it. So I went through the menus and changed it... I remembered this topic so I looked for the dreaded ISO button... THERE WAS NO ISO BUTTON EITHER!!! So I started laughing at myself thinking about this Seacam topic...

I ended the dive, opened the housing and VOILÁ! I found out that this camera has the WB, ISO, QUAL buttons under the same buttons "?", "Zoom-" and "Zoom+" respectively and that they were indeed in supported in the housing and labeled as "?", "Zoom-" and "Zoom+"... so I guess I need to study the camera a little bit more!!!

Today I had a post from my friend Bob Gleeson, who has a SEACAM for a D7000 and is diligently trying to find functionalities beyond the obvious. He shared this with me:

<<Steve, (Share this with Liz and any other owners concerned with lack of ISO adjustment)

Manual ISO is fixed for me. Using the proper menu command you do not need the ISO button on the camera.

I finally dug through menus to the point where I found a menu under custom settings “Shooting/Display”, Selecting this option you will find a setting “ISO display and adjustment”, selecting this option gives you a setting “Show ISO/Easy ISO”.

When the “Show ISO/Easy ISO” is selected it replaces the images remaining display on the (top) control panel with the ISO setting. Since we do not have a window for the (top) control panel this is a no brainer. Even if the top control panel was important switching to either user mode will display shots remaining as long as the user mode was not disabled with “Show ISO/Easy ISO”.

When the “Show ISO/Easy ISO” is selected you can use the subcommand dial to reset ISO at will. The images remaining and the ISO are both displayed on the (back) monitor in the “Info mode” (press the info button) the only thing that was a little confusing until I turned my Japan brain on was that in M both subcommand dials are already occupied. You have to set the mode to A, S or P to get a free subcommand dial which allows you to change the ISO. Once the ISO is selected you can go back to M and shoot the selected ISO. When the camera is set up in the “Show ISO/Easy ISO” all of the actions needed are made while looking at the monitor and it is very quick and easy to do.

Bob>>

Thanks very very much Stephen,

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to find out for me. I don't suppose he as a work around for the white balance too does he? Not quite as important, but it's still something I use for magic filters.

Julian

Hi Stephen.

I had a play with my D7000 with the "Show ISO/Easy ISO" and it works and its actually quiet fast. I personally like to have full control of the multi selector to position the single point focus in my macro shooting and have access to WB adjustment for my video which I get with my Aquatica. If the Seacam was available at the time and had full controls it might have had my consideration. I just can't see the reasoning of leaving the these buttons off the rear of the housing as they would be very easy to add in the production process.

Regards Mark

So does it really save a lot of money in production to remove a few buttons from the back?

So does it really save a lot of money in production to remove a few buttons from the back?

I would guess not, but if they added them it would hardly justify spending that much more for the high end housings. :)

I think in this case its going to cost more for Seacam going this way.

Mark

Bob>>

SEACAM Shooter David Yang has deduced the solution for reviewing multiple images, rather than just the last one shot on the Prelude housing for the D7000:

"On the playback, it's similar to the other Nikon D cameras in that you can program the rear dial to perform the function of play back scrolling.

Specifically, go to menu, then "custom setting menu", then "f controls," then "f6 customize command dials," and set "menu and playback" to "on."  Once you do this, whenever you are in playback mode (by pressing the play button) you can then scroll through the previous photos using the rear command dial."

Hope this is helpful, and thanks to Bob and David for contributing their D7000 experience.

Kind of late for this discussion, I realize, but we had a SEACAM Prelude for D7000 passing through the studio yesterday on its way to new owner and I grabbed these product shots. Not even the right lens for the macro port, but its what we had on hand at the time in the Nikon realm.

post-630-1303499276.jpg

post-630-1303499308.jpg

post-630-1303499332.jpg

SEACAM has updated their site with some very nice D7000 studio shots - see:

http://seacam.com/en/products/housings/nikon/d7000

Edited by StephenFrink

And on top of that, hold on for an exclusive from ADEX.... :) Stay tuned!

SEACAM Shooter David Yang has deduced the solution for reviewing multiple images, rather than just the last one shot on the Prelude housing for the D7000:

"On the playback, it's similar to the other Nikon D cameras in that you can program the rear dial to perform the function of play back scrolling.

Specifically, go to menu, then "custom setting menu", then "f controls," then "f6 customize command dials," and set "menu and playback" to "on."  Once you do this, whenever you are in playback mode (by pressing the play button) you can then scroll through the previous photos using the rear command dial."

Hope this is helpful, and thanks to Bob and David for contributing their D7000 experience.

Thanks once again Stephen,

I really appreciate your help. It demonstrates beautifully what these forums are for. As well as the opportunity for a good ranting of course :)

Julian

Thanks once again Stephen,

I really appreciate your help. It demonstrates beautifully what these forums are for. As well as the opportunity for a good ranting of course :)

Julian

My pleasure, Julian. I appreciate the rant too. I learned a lot about the D7000 camera that I may never have known if you had not asked the question.

As an adjunct to my first post, I have just completed my first dive with the Seacam prelude and I have to say I am very happy with my purchase. All the original faults still remain, and the drill will definitely be applied to the housing to make it more functional, but I am very happy with the general feel of the housing in my stubby little hands. The aperture and shutter speed dials fall under my fingers exactly as seasoned Seacam users assured me they would. The ports are firmly screwed into the housing, unlike my old Subal. With a couple of floats I found it to

As an adjunct to my first post, I have just completed my first dive with the Seacam prelude and I have to say I am very happy with my purchase. All the original faults still remain, and the drill will definitely be applied to the housing to make it more functional, but I am very happy with the general feel of the housing in my stubby little hands. The aperture and shutter speed dials fall under my fingers exactly as seasoned Seacam users assured me they would. The ports are firmly screwed into the housing, unlike my old Subal. With a couple of floats I found it to

Julian was interrupted and kidnapped mid-post by supporters of other brands! LOL

We won't let him go until we have finished the brainwashing... :lol:

OK OK HA HA..My tinternet connection is somewhat dodgy here.

Alright here's the whole thing again:

As an adjunct to my first post, I have just completed my first dive with the Seacam prelude and I have to say I am very happy with my purchase. All the original faults still remain, and the drill will definitely be applied to the housing to make it more functional, but I am very happy with the general feel of the housing in my stubby little hands. The aperture and shutter speed dials fall under my fingers exactly as seasoned Seacam users assured me they would. The ports are firmly screwed into the housing, unlike my old Subal. With a couple of floats I found it to be neutrally balanced in the water, and I love the small fisheye dome.

I am still of the opinion that the manufacturer has made an error of judgement as to the capabilities of the nikon D7000, and as such has produced a hous

Previous report was erroneous... Julian is suffering from postus interruptus! :)

Sponsors

Advertisements