echeng

Apple announces Final Cut Pro X for $299

Read this article this morning and while it does not directly relate to the discussion, it talks of the value of transcoding in FCX and whether it really is necessary. I haven't done the testing this author did but it might be appropos to the other NLE's as well.

http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/final-cut/f...optimized-media

Steve

Seems Apple has lost market share 1 year later, but apparently not as much as many thought. According to SCRI, marketshare for new purchases (excluding cross/upgrades etc) was 52% for Final Cut vs 54% in 2010. Of course, a few things like price ($299) may have a play in it as well as the pull on effect of Mac sales.

Still almost 1 year later, FCX doesn't seem to be slowing down Apple's software division.

Seems Apple has lost market share 1 year later, but apparently not as much as many thought. According to SCRI, marketshare for new purchases (excluding cross/upgrades etc) was 52% for Final Cut vs 54% in 2010. Of course, a few things like price ($299) may have a play in it as well as the pull on effect of Mac sales.

Still almost 1 year later, FCX doesn't seem to be slowing down Apple's software division.

Once again Apple successfully gave us what we didn't know we needed.

But, after a year with FCP X, I have to say I am having a great experience with it. I am enjoying editing more than I ever had in the past. And the comments that I am hearing from my audience indicate that the results are showing through into the final work.

Regards

Peter

Well Pete, I think Apple lost a lot more in bulk sales but made up for it in single user sales. Also I think SCRI's numbers are fudged. Apple has the real sales numbers and they don't need to quote SCRI to push marketing if they were doing very well. I'd expect to see the number decline as the Mac Pro disappears and Adobe CS6 gains ground by OPEN CL acceleration.

Well Pete, I think Apple lost a lot more in bulk sales but made up for it in single user sales. Also I think SCRI's numbers are fudged. Apple has the real sales numbers and they don't need to quote SCRI to push marketing if they were doing very well. I'd expect to see the number decline as the Mac Pro disappears and Adobe CS6 gains ground by OPEN CL acceleration.

Apple has rarely chased market-share, focusing on products for a targetted customer base that they can serve well. Even their successful iPod, iPhone and iPad market did not start as a market share play. This product-excellence strategy has served them well over the decades. In fact, the only time they got into deep trouble was when, under Sculley, they did start playing the market share game.

Let's see how it pans out over the next few months and years. But, despite the maturity and capabilities of CS6, I believe that FCP X appeals more to the creative community as there is less technology between the creative vision and the finished result.

The one key advantage FCP/S had for it was that it was tied to the Mac. With performance lacking, and the unnecessarily heavy burden of background rendering vs just using hardware that's there already (like the Intel HD GPU), Apple lost the plot in performance, which it always did really. Final Cut came out because of the post Sculley market share loss. Adobe had slowed development of the NLE, as did Avid, and DV had just started in the infancy. Back in the 90s, marketshare and lack thereof killed off a lot of absolutely wonderful software like Commotion. Once Apple market steadied and even grew, Adobe/Avid came back in. But FCP was well established due to fantastic rebates for hardware with the Apple developer programs, all for market share.

While there's no denying the i products have pushed Apple into new grounds, the halo effect of those products benefitted the computer side. However, with the computer industry, cool hardware and OS apart, performance is a big issue for 2 areas, gaming and design/production. Apple bought marketshare with the developer program for production companies, to gain the halo effect of FCP being used by professionals for feature films etc. And Final Cut did play a part in the indie film circuit. However, as the market matures and competition caught up and surpassed, I think Apple lost a lot of market buzz with FCX and just played price wars, knowing @ $299, it's a good deal for the consumer/enthusiasts bigger market. I think it's great that companies jockey and fight as it only benefits innovation.

Sponsors

Advertisements