Sign in to follow this  
jmanges

Digital Camera Recommendation Request

Hi,

I have been shooting film for a while and am considering switching to digital. My question is, is there a camera/lens combination available for digital that will shoot both wide angle and macro? I know it seems like a lot to ask from a camera but any recommendations would be appreciated. I would like to keep the cost of the camera (without lights or housing) to less than $1500 and work from there.

Thanks

The coolpix 5000 with 19mm converter will shoot wideangle and 1:2 macro on the same dive.

The least expensive way to go is an Ikelite housing w/ dome port. You can pick the Coolpix5000 up for <$500 on Ebay too.

Cheers

James

I would like a recommendation as well... but I am not on the same budget. I am a "pre" feshional photographer... been shooting film cameras for years. One of these days I might try to make a (small) buck at it. I am new to diving but I love it and want to take pics.

I shoot a Nikon F100 for film, and will convert to a Nikon dig-SLR when they make one I like (ie full frame D-100). Since the housing for the D100 is more than a whole setup for a consumer digicam (which I am in the market for) I figured I'd take that route.

So what do I get for the $500 - $700 range? I imagine 4MP is good enough. These are in the $300 - $400 range for nice ones (Canon S40/S50, Oly ?, Nikon ?,). Seems the housings are around $200. I will use a dive light, but probably get a strobe soon enough.

What features should I be concerned with? What cameras are people liking the most for this application in this range?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

There are many great cameras out there for under $500. The cameras listed below all have a few comon features:

1. Program, Aperature Priority, Shutter Priority, and Full Manual exposure modes

2. Manual white balance capability to a white or grey card

3. Macro focusing mode to a minimum of 8"

4. An inexpensive OEM u/w housing rated to at least 100'

Canon S-400 (4 mp), housing rated to 130'

Canon S-50 (5 mp), housing rated to 100'

Fuji F-700 (3-6 mp), housing rated to 130'

Olympus 750uz (4 mp), housing rated to 131'

In the Under $700 price range you might also check out:

Olympus 5050 (5 mp), housing rated to 131'

Olympus 5060 (5 mp), housing rated to 131' but not yet available in the USA till mid Jan 2004

Hope that helps,

Doug

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements