chris.evans

s95 questions regarding upgrades to WP-DC38

I have an s95 and DC38.

I am going on a dive vacation around red sea, capetown, etc.

I have used the above combo a lot for freediving, and that's great. But at any depth (SCUBA), and especially considering a few night dives, I think it's time for a strobe.

I have been looking at these strobes at backscatter:

Sea&Sea YS01

Sea&Sea YS02

IkeLite AF35

So, I was wondering what people had good results with? Also, how does the TTL function on the YS01 work? I see no port for a wire or fiber on the dc35.

Sorry if a repost, I searched for 'DC38' and it came up with nothing, which I found hard to believe!

Thanks!

CE

Edited by chris.evans

Any help would be appreciated! I live in Germany but am in the US this next 1.5 weeks, I would of course like to purchase photo equipment here rather than back home due to the usd/eur conversion.

Any help would be appreciated! I live in Germany but am in the US this next 1.5 weeks, I would of course like to purchase photo equipment here rather than back home due to the usd/eur conversion.

try looking posts about the S90 and dc35, it's essentially the same camera.

I don't know about the sea&sea strobes, but I would buy an Inon S2000 before the ikelite.

you'll have to rig up a fiber optic connections on the housing.

something like this:

http://www.backscatter.com/HostedStore.Las...=youbetcha&

I guess the ikelite does have the advantage of not needing that or the fiber cable.

The downside is that other people's flashes could possibly set it off.

you might also want to try asking here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/

Here are the strobes I have found, but it's not easy finding info about all of them:

Fuji Remora: 300usd arm/tray/strobe

Inon S-2000: 680usd arm/tray/strobe

IkeLite AF-35: 420usd arm/tray/strobe

SS YS02: 450-540usd arm/tray/strobe

SS YS01: 550-625usd arm/tray/strobe

SeaLife SL961: 350usd arm/tray/strobe/case

Can anyone give me feedback about a S-TTL strobe vs a

Unless there's a cheaper Inon bundle, I was wondering if anyone found articles talking about the remora vs the ikelite?

I could also get the Inon, but an arm/tray from elsewhere, I see the AF35 arm/tray for 40usd.

Also any s95 users know if I should snag a video light?

I would really like to spend less than ~500usd, but we shall see...

CE

Edited by chris.evans

I really know nothing about the ikelite other than it's less powerful than the inon.

Didn't realize there was such a price difference.

I can tell you my own experience.

I had a sealife SL960D and it worked fine. Recharge was slow, but it worked.

I now have an Inon D2000 and it's so much better. Yes, it cost twice as much, but it's really nice.

The inon S-TTL is a nice feature.

If you mostly do macro, then I'm sure the ikelite is fine.

If you want to do wider angle stuff and more reefscapes, it might not be powerful enough.

But, I say that based only on specs.

who makes the fuji. I have a feeling it's a repackaged strobe with fuji's name on it.

Actually, that YS02 looks like a nice strobe.

it has basically the same feature set as the inon D2000.

it looks like a better buy than the S2000 because it has the target light.

on an inon in s-ttl mode, you can still fine tune the flash. you can tell the strobe to put out more or less light than what it has determined through the ttl function. This is nice as it keeps from you from going full manual, while still giving you some control.

Can the YS02 do that?

If you dont' care about TTL or a target light, then the YS01 appears to be a good buy.

how do you use your S95? if in full manual, then the inon s-ttl will not work. it needs the preflash which the S95 does not put out in manual.

if you use AV or TV, then s-ttl works.

I don't know about the YS02 in this regard.

Hi there,

I've seen both Sea & Sea's YS-01 and INON's S-2000 strobes with guests' cameras on my courses and both work really well.

As mentioned before, the key difference between the two is that the YS-01 has a target light whereas the S-2000 doesn't. I always find the target light useful for focusing during night dives, or if your subject is in a dark overhang, but of course if you already have a torch, this isn't an issue.

Both are excellent strobes, nice, small and compact.

Best of luck and if you need any more help, just let me know.

Have a lovely day.

Maria

I've tested the TTL on the YS-01 and it works great. It's a small, powerful strobe. If you don't need TTL or a spotting light, the YS-02 has the same power, small size and recycle rate.

Scott

I came from the Ikelite world (with circular flash tubes and big strobe heads) to Inon D2000 when I switched to Canon S90.

As far as strobes go, I think the two flash tubes in D2000 is important to get a fuller angle of coverage aka fall of light from the head. That is what steered my away from S2000. That said I got some good shots with Ike DS51 (one tube head) before I switched. Yes I am using Inon 100 WAL.

So look at what is flashing when doing your comparisons.

Since the Canon operates in manual with strobes, no TTL with Inon. I have been usign External Auto (essentially a flash meter in the strobe head) quite successfully. But once again I came from long use of Ikelite SS and DS strobes so was used to manual flash adjustment

Sponsors

Advertisements