Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Macro

? Mollusk from Verde Is. Philippines

Hi, I am uploading the first shot of a series of an unknown mollusk that I took while diving in the Philippines in February. I really didn't pay much attention to it when I took the shots, but after coming home and finding the photo series I tried to identify it and had no luck. I also showed it to Burt Jones and Maurine Shimlock on a recent trip to Raja Ampat and they had no idea, but suggested that I try this forum. So, here is the first shot. This appears to show the creature's mouth and the others in the series show it pulling some algae into its mouth. Any ideas? Thanks. Mr. Macro

post-33946-1303245561.jpg

My guess is some sort of vermetid snail. This particular family has lost the ability to coil in tight spirals like other snails & instead makes long sinuous or irregularly coiled tubes. Some species have an operculum - a calcareous plate used to seal the tube against predators. On reefs the tubes & operculums are often overgrown by algae & encrusting fauna like sea squirts. They feed by forming strings of mucus which collect food particles then reel in & swallow the strings.

My guess is some sort of vermetid snail. This particular family has lost the ability to coil in tight spirals like other snails & instead makes long sinuous or irregularly coiled tubes. Some species have an operculum - a calcareous plate used to seal the tube against predators. On reefs the tubes & operculums are often overgrown by algae & encrusting fauna like sea squirts. They feed by forming strings of mucus which collect food particles then reel in & swallow the strings.

Leslie,

Thanks for the information. The following shots I took show the creature sucking in, what I thought was algae, but could well be the string of mucus that you describe.

Mr. Macro

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements