Sign in to follow this  
ilanbt

Juvenile emperor fish

The picture was taken yesterday in Eilat Israel.

I added contrast to the picture to darken the background.

turned out nice.

We know what you mean, but to avoid confusion, I'd keep with the full common name for Pomacanthus imperator - Emperor angelfish. Emperors are another family entirely, Lethrinidae.

Juvenile emperors are not often seen, or at least not often recognized for what they are, as they look very different from adults and have different color phases as they change from juvenile to adult. Many live in seagrass beds and are highly camouflaged, so I was very interested in seeing your "juvenile emperor".

Personally, I would have preferred a lighter background in a contrasting color. The dark bands on the head of this juvenile emperor angel merge into your dark background.

Robert Delfs

Thx for the correction.

sea grass beds are not common in Eilat's red sea so the juveniles hide between the rocks and the corals.

about the picture I wanted it on the dark background to create the neon sign effect.

Ilanbt,

What I was saying about sea beds and so forth applies to juvenile emperors (Lethrinidae), not juvenile emperor angelfish, which seem to be quite happy in corals and caves. This is the kind of confusion I was suggesting you might want to try to avoid.

Robert

Very nice color. Like you said, a 'neon sign' effect. And the black background helps point it out very well.

Can you do something about the somewhat overexposed dorsal/trailing fin? I found it somewhat distracting, especially since there is some blur there.

Regarding the dorsal fin the only solution us to find a younger fish this one has just started to change its colors (they do it from to to bottom).

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements