Sign in to follow this  
Chriso

Nauticam and Zen, dramas with internal flash

G'day All

Wondering if anyone else is using this combination and if you have a fix, first time I have had the new glass underwater, thinking I am going to have to build in a baffle of some sort.

Nauticam D300s

Zen 9" Glass

Tokina 10-17 fisheye

And the result....

post-10908-1303807911.jpg

I have the same with Tokina + Hugyfot Dome. Just made a foam rubber ring, which I put on the lens and reflections are gone.

Edited by Seabeast

This is what I used with my 40D/50D in my fibre optic converted Subal:

339630338_uJryi-M-1.jpg

I've never had an issue with either my 8" or 4"dome with my 7D in Nauticam, the zoom gear blocks off any light getting into the domes.

Edited by Gudge

Thanks Gudge,

Thats nice and just what I was looking for.

Looks like an issue with the larger Zen 9", I don't have any reflection with my smaller ones either.

Pete at ScubaPix just Emailed me as well, he says Nauticam actually make a buffer for just this occasion.

And just a thumbs up for tops service as well, Pete is in Lembeh on holiday and I had an Email within 30mins of posting :)

http://www.scubapix.com/

Thanks All !!

Edited by Chriso

This is what I used with my 40D/50D in my fibre optic converted Subal

You steal my ring man =)

5aec1c868a63.jpg

G'day All

Wondering if anyone else is using this combination and if you have a fix, first time I have had the new glass underwater, thinking I am going to have to build in a baffle of some sort.

Nauticam D300s

Zen 9" Glass

Tokina 10-17 fisheye

And the result....

Hey Chriso,

Just grab the foam cozy from your Murrays Wild Thing and cut a section to go arround the Tok. Light loves negative space.

Bob

You need Nauticam #28109. It is a rubber ring that mounts between the plastic port bayonet ring and aluminum port body, or the same parts on an extension if used, and completely blocks out light leak.

Here is the rubber ring, installed in the groove on an extension ring. This can also be pressed into a dome or flat port, but it needs to be attached the the first accessory part locked directly to the housing.

_DSC1270.jpg

The easiest way to illustrate this was to turn an led flashlight on behind the housing, shining through the lcd window on the back. Light from the internal flash wouldn't likely shine through in this location, but this shows that the gear alone won't block all of the light.

LeakingLight-1-2.jpg

And here is an image with the rubber ring installed:

WithGasket-1.jpg

Edited by Ryan

Thanks Ryan :)

Can you please chuck on into the quote with the Nauticam D7000 housing and the other bits.

Hey Chriso,

Think you're getting your Ryan's mixed up, 'Ryan' is from Reef Photo Video in the States. I'm the real Ryan :)

I've never had an issue with either my 8" or 4"dome with my 7D in Nauticam, the zoom gear blocks off any light getting into the domes.
I just realised that I should point out that I'm using Subal Type 3 mount domes with the Nauticam/Subal adapter. The adapter covers the gap between the zoom gear and housing, so extra bits are required in this case.

Ha sorry Ryan, I was talking Ryan on the phone at the same time putting an order together whilst reading your post, that was silly.

Anyway I found a better solution

Just put in an order for a new Nikon D7000 and a dead sexy Nauticam housing to go with it :)

Anyone in the market for a Nikon D80 in a Sea&Sea ?

Edited by Chriso

I've not seen this problem with either the Tokina or the Nikon 10.5mm using Nauticam's big dome.

Tokina

post-4522-1304447635.jpg

Nikon

post-4522-1304447666.jpg

Tim

:D

Edited by tdpriest

I with the 10-17 and 8.5" dome also and no problem at all.......this problem only happen with canon user.....so far i heard!!!!!!!!

Edited by ckchong

Its all good I found a better solution, nice and shiny :D

p921784123.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements