Sign in to follow this  
Drew

Canon outsells Nikon in DSLR for 2010

Canon cornered over 40% of the DSLR market in 2010 according to IDC:

IDC DSLR sales esults tabulated

What I don't get is that the T2i and 60D are selling better than the D7000, yet everyone is making housings for the D7000 and not many for the 60D. Very interesting.

Do housing manufacturers look at overall sales or do they have some insight as to camera popularity by brand specifically for underwater?

If I recall, a while back here on WP an informal survey seemed to indicate that Nikon DSLR's were more popular than Canon for underwater photographers. That's probably changed some due to Canon having an edge in the video department the last few years.

On the other hand there's also been a lot of pent up demand on the part of Nikon users, many seeing the D7000 as the near 'perfect' underwater camera.

I had a chance to look over the Nikon D7000 this week. Beautiful footage. The only problem is that the supposed 'follow focus' in video mode is very slow and it is like shooting into the blue on auto for a regular video cam and seeing the iris searching. If I had gone the D7000 route, I would not have that auto focus feature turned on.

Steve

What I don't get is that the T2i and 60D are selling better than the D7000,

Where did you see this?

As well, there seems to be some confusion about exactly which year is being referred to in the article. The D7000, D60 etc. are relatively new and may not be driving the reported stats. It would be far better if these data were broken down by camera model for each line. The Rebels may form the lion's share of Canon sales and possibly lead.

The difference between N and C is greater than the S share, which is a bit staggering. Suggests that C is doing a much better job at marketing. This also includes a better nomenclature system (even if the Rebel name is a bit stupid, IMHO, if not "loaded") for the amateur grade models. Also, as Thom Hogan points out on his web site, N seems to have a chronic supply problem. Is the N and C sales difference a consequence of this problem?

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements