Sign in to follow this  
gina

Fish/Reef Creature ID book in DVD/software format?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a reef fish/creature ID book in DVD or software format? I saw a previous thread here about Kindle format, but that's not color and difficult to page through (if it even exists). I thought I heard something a few years ago about a software version of an ID guide (so that it sits on the same computer you process your photos on) that was searchable - does this ring a bell for anyone?

If such a wonderful product exists and you have seen it, would you recommend it (both from a correct-ID as well as a software-works-well point of view)?

If this product doesn't yet exist, is there anyone out there who can push Humann/DeLoach/New World Publications to create one? Surely we'd all buy one!

Thanks,

Gina

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a reef fish/creature ID book in DVD or software format? I saw a previous thread here about Kindle format, but that's not color and difficult to page through (if it even exists). I thought I heard something a few years ago about a software version of an ID guide (so that it sits on the same computer you process your photos on) that was searchable - does this ring a bell for anyone?

If such a wonderful product exists and you have seen it, would you recommend it (both from a correct-ID as well as a software-works-well point of view)?

If this product doesn't yet exist, is there anyone out there who can push Humann/DeLoach/New World Publications to create one? Surely we'd all buy one!

Thanks,

Gina

You can get the Humann/DeLoach book, which has been combined with Reefnet's work from either Reefnet (www.reefnet.ca) or REEF (www.reef.org). The DVD is Windows only, though Keri has told me they are working on a Mac version. I think it is a NATURAL for an iPad ebook, but as far as I know that is not on the immediate horizon.

Keri frequents this site and may shed some light on the other formats. I have suggested to Ned DeLoach (hint, hint) how much I'd live an iPad version.

Steve

Rob Myers has an iPad Caribbean reef fish guide, but I cannot find the link for it, I will post it when I find it.

And I am pretty sure you can get a DVD version of Ross Robertson's eastern Pacific fish guide here:

http://biogeodb.stri.si.edu/sftep/

ReefNet is the one it sounds like you are thinking of

Yes, that's it, thank you! But drat, I have a Mac and they currently only have the Windows version out. I will keep an eye on that site for updates.

-Gina

Rob Myers has an iPad Caribbean reef fish guide, but I cannot find the link for it, I will post it when I find it.

And I am pretty sure you can get a DVD version of Ross Robertson's eastern Pacific fish guide here:

http://biogeodb.stri.si.edu/sftep/

Oh, that's a neat site. I've bookmarked it for later use, thank you.

I don't see any DVD info, but I'll poke around there some more.

-Gina

Yes, that's it, thank you! But drat, I have a Mac and they currently only have the Windows version out. I will keep an eye on that site for updates.

-Gina

Bootcamp, VMWare and Parallels all should work it fine....

I have the Reefnet DVD installed on my laptop and love it.

No need to carry around an extra reference book in these days of tight airline weight restrictions.Once you install it on the hard drive, there is no need to carry the DVD around.

The species photographs and videos are top notch, lots of search parameters and the Latin name pronunciation feature is cool too.

I just wish they could expand the DVD offerings to the other titles they have in print.

I wrote to the ReefNet people to encourage the development of a Mac product, including an interactive guide for the Tropical Pacific, and this was their prompt response:

"We're actively working on Mac OS compatibility, in conjunction with the development of other editions (eventually including the Tropical Pacific).

To be notified about new developments and releases in this regard, you should subscribe to our newsletter:

http://reefnet.ca/newsletter

The newsletter is very low volume (<6 per year), and we do not redistribute subscriber information."

If & when I get an announcement about the Mac product(s) I will post it here.

-Gina

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements