wetpixel

Tiny orange crustaceans on sponges, etc.

Unfortunately, we lost most of the old images during the forum migration earlier this year. The last message Leslie posted has good images of these guys. Anyone else have some to post for us? ;)

Hi Eric,

I first noticed the critters you mention in Manado in 2003. Since then, I've seen them in lots of places in Malaysia and Indonesia.

I've got a couple of pictures to share. Unfortunately, I never seem to have the right lens when I spot these guys.

On the second photo, you can just make out one of them carrying small juveniles (?) on its back.

Cheers,

Mat

post-4904-1126955964_thumb.jpg

post-4904-1126956020_thumb.jpg

Very cool and very nice pictures. I'll pass around the second one to the pod people & see what they say about the juveniles. Other arthropods carry around their young - having this documented for an isopod would really be nifty!

Eric, the orange things are Santia. The things I got wrong on the first disc were not orange themselves. They were sand-clad polychaete worms scattered on an orange sponge. Judy

The polychaete worms in the sand grain tube are Polydorella prolifera. They arrange themselves over the entire surface of the sponge so that they are tentacle-length distance apart. Your one photo shows them perched on the sea-edge of the sponge with their tentacles plying the plankton flows. Judy

Judy -

sand-clad polychaetes on an orange sponge? PLEASE POST!!

When I went on the Bilikiki to the Solomon Islands in 1991, the Santia isopods were on every little organism, even the plankton that I had collected in a peanut-butter jar on a night dive by putting my flashlight against the bottom of the jar. Boy, it filled right up. I had brought my microscope and my photo adapter attachment for my Pentax camera, on the trip. Nothing like traveling light! Judy

Leslie,

I have the photo ready to post. I just resampled it to reduce size and hopefully it will post. This is also one of Eric Cheng's photos from Rajah Ampat. Judy

post-4642-1126991460_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Judy. I dearly love to see good worm photos. Obviously Eric has been holding out on me!

He has not been holding out on you. These are brand new and there are a lot more. Maybe you can 'worm' them out of him. Judy

Judy has been helping me ID animals from Rajah Ampat before they go online. It's been 9 months, and clearly, I'm a slacker. :P

I'll post a high(er) res version in a different thread. Let's get these on their own thread!

You sent worm pictures to another woman? ;):( I'm crushed....

:P

hehehe. Well, there was the added benefit of having a couple hundred images ID'ed, on the side. :P

Tell the truth, I can take it.... does she have bigger guide books? Younger books? Prettier pictures?

Never mind. I see you've posted more worm pictures in a new thread. All is forgiven!

:P

Hi Leslie,

Believe me, I have the oldest books on the planet. I had no idea you were so possessive of worm photos. Here's one for you. I was looking at this Dendronephthya and realized there was a polychaete worm wrapped around a branch: my guess is that it is Odontosyllis sp.

I took this at Albatross Pass near Three Island Harbor just north-west of Kavieng, in PNG.

Regards, Judy post-4642-1127425155_thumb.jpg

Hi Leslie,

Believe me, I have the oldest books on the planet.  I had no idea you were so possessive of worm photos.  Here's one for you.  I was looking at this Dendronephthya and realized there was a polychaete worm wrapped around a branch:  my guess is that it is Odontosyllis sp.

I took this at Albatross Pass near Three Island Harbor just north-west of Kavieng, in PNG.

Regards, Judy post-4642-1127425155_thumb.jpg

I'm not, it just seemed like a fun opportunity to tease Eric & play off my own reputation as a worm freak!! :)

But I do like worm images so thanks much for yours. Was this taken at the same place & time as Eric's image of the Hippocampus with the worm wrapped around it? I'll agree that the worms are syllids but there's not enough detail on either pic to say what genus they are. It looks like they're coming out to spawn - another nice piece of behavior captured in pixels!

Cheers, Leslie

Sponsors

Advertisements