Sign in to follow this  
MitHere

Cozumel macro?

Hi guys

Is it easy enough to get good macro stuff in Cozumel or should I be looking at going elsewhere?

I'm sure I will have to do a nice big wall dive but I love macro and nice big coral gardens :D

Cheers

Adam

You'll find a lot of both macro and wide angle. I'm more of a wide angle shooter, but Jim Lyle's website gives you a good idea of the macro subjects you can find there. http://chemistry.csudh.edu/faculty/jim/Jim%27sWeb_Page.htm

Cozumel is a great destination for macro and there is usually very clear water. Be sure and do a night dive or two and maybe you will get lucky and see a squid. They have beautiful queen angelfish.

There's plenty of macro, but you have to choose your sites wisely. The typical 2-tank dive in Coz starts with a wall dive on Palancar, Columbia Deep or Santa Rosa, although it could be some other more moderate wall. These aren't great macro dives, at least on the wall where you generally dive. The second dive is typically on a flatter dive site, which offers more macro opportunity. It makes it hard to carry one setup for the day under these circumstances. That's why we always charter our own boat. That way we can do two good wide angle spots or two good macro sites.

Paseo el Cedral (Cedar Pass) is a good wide angle site for a second dive. I'll also do Punta Tunich for a second wide angle dive if the current isn't ripping too badly. So, if you are on a boat going to one of the walls first and doing wide angle, ask for either of those two sites for second dive. You might have more macro sites if you do an afternoon dive.

I used to know some cool macro spots in the shallower areas, but since the hurricane it's not quite the same.

Edited by scorpio_fish

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements