kejoxen

Water ingress detection in budget housings

Hi,

As a first foray underwater (technically second but waterproof disposables don't really count) I've got a polyurethane SLR housing bag which I'm going to put my Canon EOS 300v 35mm camera in as a first go, while I'm not too bothered about the camera body, the lens I'll be using is easily worth 10 times what I paid for the 300v on ebay.

What I was thinking of was someway to quickly and visually see if water had penetrated the housing, my idea was to stick bits of water sensitive paper on the camera and lens and then keep an eye out to see if they change colour although I'm not even sure if that's an existing product, not being able to find the correct phrase for Google to find it for me.

What I was wondering is that is a viable option or of any other ways that underwater photographers keep and eye out for the integrity of their housing while in the field.

Thanks,

The "bimetallic strip" is not what you think it is, but it is brass. The sealed electronic circuit board contains several surface mount electronic components with a battery on the reverse side. The cost of a single pickup unit that I would recommend for a small housing is $75.

I have used the papers and they kinda work but since exposure to 55% relative humidity or greater is sufficient to cause a slow color change it is hard to keep them dry enough to function. I don't know of many tropical locations that are that dry. I don't think that the little blue strips will be as easy to see or as obvious as a flashing red led.

If your interested carefully read the web page and order one. I will give you a $25 discount. You can also move the Moisture Detector to you new housing when you upgrade.

Have a great day

Hi,

As a first foray underwater (technically second but waterproof disposables don't really count) I've got a polyurethane SLR housing bag which I'm going to put my Canon EOS 300v 35mm camera in as a first go, while I'm not too bothered about the camera body, the lens I'll be using is easily worth 10 times what I paid for the 300v on ebay.

Well it depends what your lens is worth

Hi,

Well it depends what your lens is worth to you.

You're starting off with one foot on the banana peel with the plastic bag.

If you do not want to invest in a valid moisture alarm, then just remember you will get what you paid for - and some times not .

For an inexpensive safeguard, pack some ladies tampons in the bag - there really good in moisture absorbshion!

I would recommend www.uwleakdetector.com I have had two of them, in different housings and they are simple, reliable and cost effective. Over two hundred dives using it and no floods yet ( touch wood).

I would recommend www.uwleakdetector.com I have had two of them, in different housings and they are simple, reliable and cost effective. Over two hundred dives using it and no floods yet ( touch wood).

I have these as well and like them a lot. I also happen to have met Jeff and he is a real stand-up kind of guy which makes it all that much nicer.

Sponsors

Advertisements