TomR1

Wakatobi in Super macro

"Study in Blue" is gorgeous.

I'm impressed by the pygmies, but they're a little spoiled by the eyes not being quite sharp, I'm afraid.

Tim

:)

Sorry Tom, I'm not seeing your page from the link. I just get my facebook page. Do have them on your website?

Steve

Sorry Tom, I'm not seeing your page from the link. I just get my facebook page. Do have them on your website?

Steve

Go to the wakatobi page on facebook. Wakatobi in Super macro will be one of the galleries on top.

Hi Tom,

very nice shots i have to say. I like the quality and sharpness.

Maybe you can help me out. I am using a 60mm macro with the Canon 50D and a Sea&Sea housing. Do you think or maybe know for a fact that the subsee also works with my rig?

Please let me know.

Blade-

The Subsee will work FINE with your rig BUT you will not get as much magnification. A SubSee magnifies a longer lens more. The SubSee holder is port specific. Keri machines them to suit your particular port. On my SeaTool the SubSee will work on either my 60mm or 105mm port and I MAY be using the same ports as you. If so, you can get one for your 60mm and use it later if you decide to move to a 100mm.

Steve-

I had a great time as I had something of a breakthrough using the SubSee. Tim points our something, however, about why underwater photography is so much fun. No matter how good you get you can always get better. I checked the actual focus location of the pigmy shots. The focus is on the body. Even at f/32 the depth-of-field is so shallow that the eye is not as tack sharp as it could be. Still, it is rare that one will have as many opportunities as I had to photograph pigmys and I doubt I will ever find another white pigmy on my own.

Tim points our something, however, about why underwater photography is so much fun. No matter how good you get you can always get better.

I have never met a great U/W photographer who is truly happy with even their best images. They are always seeing something they could improve or wish they had done different. The best that some of us, not in that class, can do is come home with images that we get excited about, that tell stories to our friends, and give us a chance to get better. The best of our images get people we don't even know excited about the ocean and you have clearly been successful with these. The impression that they can be better just gives you a great reason to go back. :)

I have been to Wakatobi and have never even seen a pygmy seahorse, much less photograph one. I'm still pretty sure they are a giant PR conspiracy put out by the dive resorts. Your white one did give me pause though.

Cheers,

Steve

It is well known that pygmies are part of a multilevel conspiration. First you don´t see them for a long time. Then you start seeing them quite often. You might even start believing that it is possible for you to take decent photos of them. However, that is when the pygmy conspiracy really gets you. The pygmies you see in this stage are all at around 30 meters of depth in huge fans and show up just as you are getting low on air. No way you will ever find them in the viewfinder before you are seriously low on air, let alone gwet focus. The next 100 or so pygmies at more decent depths will pose nicely and look at you untill you find them in the viewfinder. Ever so close to actually getting the shot you have wanted for years, they start turning away from you, and exactly at the instant you lock focus, they are turned just so much that the picture will be of a pygmy neck. There are rumours that eventually the pygmy conspiration will let you get a focused, head on photo, but, as far as I am concerned, that is most likely just another one of those internet myths!

/Bent

I have been to Wakatobi and have never even seen a pygmy seahorse, much less photograph one. I'm still pretty sure they are a giant PR conspiracy put out by the dive resorts. Your white one did give me pause though.

Cheers,

Steve

Awesome!

how cool is Ana!

I understand the pigmy conspiracy quite well. Therefore you can imagine how shocked I am to get these photos. So the eye isn't quite as sharp as it could be. Big deal! The d@mn critter is actually looking my way.

I had over 8 opportunities, all above 80 feet, to shoot a pigmy, including two different types on one dive. I even found one myself. How cool is that. I had never even seen a white pigmy before, then I saw one but my shot didn't get the eye (big suprise), then I find one myself and actually get a full shot, looking at me with a subsee. Unbelievable.

The three trips previously before I have zero pigmy shots.

Obvious proof of Divine intervention.

The 'White' pygmy is a Pontohi Pygmy Seahorse, whereas the more common pink or yellow ones are Bargabanti's Pygmy Seahorse, unless it is the slightly different yellow Denise Pygmy Seahorse :)

Of course we make all the pygmy's in Lembeh, in our secret factory, out of silly putty and tiny pre-programmed nano-bots then give them to the guides who will then subtly put them on sea fans when no one is looking....

Of course we make all the pygmy's in Lembeh, in our secret factory, out of silly putty and tiny pre-programmed nano-bots then give them to the guides who will then subtly put them on sea fans when no one is looking....

Ahh haaa, just as I suspected.

".......put them on sea fans when no one is looking"

Ah, but this little silly putty sea smurf resides on halimeda grass, not a fan. It sounds like your factory has a low cost competitor.

The white one looks like Hippocampus denise. I fully share in the conspiracy theory and I've never done better than these, which are well short of the quality of Tom's images:

post-4522-1306781834.jpg

post-4522-1306781860.jpg

You can see that the colours are pretty variable, but the pot belly seems characteristic of the "plucked chicken" seahorse.

Tim

:)

Ah, but this little silly putty sea smurf resides on halimeda grass, not a fan. It sounds like your factory has a low cost competitor.

The nano-bots run on, unfortunately, Windows 2000 and therefore pygmies are subject to crashing and the reformat throws up unexpected results.......

Pontohi Pygmies live on Halimeda, usually fairly shallow. It's definitely a Pontohi Pygmy (version 1.1).

Nice shots Tom. What a great place to spend your birthday. There was a Denise on the house reef earlier last year fairly shallow as I recall. Tough to shoot as there's always some current. Is it gone?

Edited by randapex

I did not dive the house reef enough to know if a Denise was there but I had an opportunity to photograph one on the same dive I found the white. My shot failed but Ginnie collected a nice one. I think that Rand's signature shot and Tim's second shot are awesome.

post-1589-1306815353.jpg

Edited by TomR1

Sponsors

Advertisements