Sign in to follow this  
ReelBruin

Using On/Off switch on CP5000 Ikelite Housing?

I JUST GOT my Ikelite 6190 for my CP5000. I got it down pat, but for one thing: what does the "on/off" knob on top do? HAAHA Yeah Yeah Seriously...the arm inside the housing looks like it should reach to the on/off switch to rotate it, but I can't seem to line it up right. Before I BREAK it, what's the trick?

The difficulty of this control is probably why most manufactuers do not include. It should allow you to turn camera on or off, but does take finesse to operate. The idea was to allow operation before and after a dive, but it is too aggravating for use during the dive. You can slip off the rubber cover and bend the 1/8" diameter of the shaft slightly with a pair of pliers to exert more pressure on the camera if necessary. Or you can always send it to Ikelite with a note explaining the problem.

Mine seems to work perfectly but the problem I have is the rotating selection dial thingy. have to push quite hard to make it rotate without slipping. Is this usual?

I noticed that too. I like to shoot in Aperture priority mode, and I have to push down to rotate the knob. But that's ok, it provides some assurance of when and if I want to make the adjustment.

As to the on/off, since the camera will sleep and you can turn it back on with the shutter release UW, I'd just assume blow it off.

The cameras vary on how easy the mode dial is to turn. Water pressure will do most of the pushing underwater............

I agree with Ike. Although I have no problems turning the camera on or off, there are occations when I am suddenly unable to get the mode dial to work (The dial turns, but the aperature or shutter speed in manual doesn't change). I believe that the water pressure on deeper dives changes how the camera is aligned with the internal control shafts, specificly the mode, func and +- buttons on the top of the camera. The other possibility is that the camera mounting platform on the housing back is mis-aligned.

Not much you can do about once you're in the water, other than get out and try in realign everything and then get back in and try it..

Doug

Also, I find I have to be a bit deliberate to keep the on/off and shutter release from interfering. I rotate the shutter release all the way out of the way to use the on/off, and vicer versa.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements