sevans0579

Do I need a video light...?

Hi

I have been using the Sony NEX 5 with the Nauticam housing for 18 months now and I have been very impressed with it so far. I shoot mainly in green murky UK water and i have been waiting for the Sony e mount macro lens which has yet to be released! I purchased the diopter and it is working well for me.

This is where i am stuck!

I was contemplating either saving for a new strobe or getting a focus light to make that next step. I have been doing more video lately and the focus light will help for focusing on the smaller objects, that is why i thought a focus light would be the next step, you think this is the right move?

I have been browsing and i realise the light and motion models are great but beyond my price range. I did notice the fisheye FIX 500 DX Led, has anybody had any experience with this model? i also noticed a mini focus light which was significantly cheaper but i am guessing the more expensive would be more of a stepping stone for me?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Whilst i am talking about video, the NEX 5 shoots good video in my very amateur opinion but, when using a video light do you need filters? also i am guessing you leave the white balance on auto? i tend to set my camera up in 'manual' for taking pictures and just press record for video (with the settings already set) but is there a 'normal' setting most people use to start off with?

Thankyou for your time and help

Edited by sevans0579

This video was shoot with only a L&M Sola 600 Photo/Video lamp using a Panasonic TZ7 camera (720p).

In the first shot of the lobster you can easily see the edges of the light dispersion. Can't say I care for that. Read Eric Cheng's review of the Keldan Luna Flux light on this site and a new review of their CRI light will be coming soon.

Steve

I am in the market for 2 videolights for my Hugyfot D7000 housing and study the market.

In this moment - and the next month - most manufacturers present 4000-5000 lumen video lights and so

you may get good deals on 1000-2000 lumen video lights.

For me interesting video lights are from:

- Greenforce: Squid 4000 lumen

- L&M: Sola4000 4000 lumen

- Mangrove: 4000 lumen

- Subtronic 4000 lumen (125 Watt Halogen)

It looks as most of them use the same 16:9 LED circuit board

Chris

P.S. the video above was recorded during a night dive where nice films using limited power is possible,

but on a day dive every light with less than 2000 lumen will not make a big effect.

This Video

was recorded with 2 35 watt HID video lights in 100ft at midday and they are barely visible Edited by ChrigelKarrer

I've compared the Greenforce and Solas with the Keldan and the Keldan won hands down.

Steve

I've compared the Greenforce and Solas with the Keldan and the Keldan won hands down.

Steve

Really Keldan's are better than Greenforce? Out of interest what is a ball park figure for the Keldan's

Have you had a look at the new Gates lights Steve?

Hey Jonny,

Yes, I have seen the Gates prototype and it is pretty impressive. Haven't seen it under water and can't compare it to the Green Force or Keldan as yet. Not sure if I will be doing a review but my review of the Keldans should come out this weekend. Still adding some final touches to it. The Gates light, topside showed no hotspots and had nicely diffused edges. I do not know what the angle of the beam is and that is important. The Solas have a 60º angle while the Keldan's have a 90º spread which makes quite a bit of difference. Of course, the Solas are much smaller and lighter but, in the end, it is the final footage that counts. The Keldans have a CRI color rating of 95 which is the highest I have heard from any underwater light. They definitely beat out the Green Force in comparison and that was done in the water at Kona. More info to come

Steve

Jonny,

The review is now up on wetpixel and will be up on the kenstone site this Sunday

Steve

Sponsors

Advertisements