Don Silcock

Leafy Sea Dragons @ Edithburg in South Australia

I managed to get a few days diving in and around Edithburg in South Australia late last year and after a day of looking finally found a pair of what have to be Australia's most exquisite underwater creatures – the very special and quite unique Leafy Sea Dragon (Glauerts Seadragon).

Edithburg is on the south-east tip of South Australia's Yorke Peninsular and is one of the best places to see and photograph "Leafy's" as just off from the town's main jetty and in less than 10m of water is an area of thick sea grass which provides the perfect habitat.

The sea grass allows the Leafy's to blend in almost completely, plus a rich source of the small crustaceans that together with plankton forms their main food source.

Only found only in the waters of Southern Australia and the south-west of Western Australia, Leafy Sea Dragons are very territorial, although they will move away from their habitat for up to several hundred metres from its habitat, they use their very strong sense of direction to return.

The underwater conditions were not too good at the time because of recent storms, which meant the visibility was not the best, but it was a great encounter when we found a male and female pair, with the male carrying a large number of eggs.

You can see the Leafy Sea Dragon image gallery from the trip on this LINK and I will be adding some detailed location pages on the Edithburg area soon as I get chance…

post-867-1307303210.jpg

Edited by Don Silcock

Simply beautiful.

Stew

They are incredible creatures! Lovely photo, what lens were you using please?

Hi Alex, I was using the Nikon 16-35 behind a Subal FE2 dome on a D700.

The images are very sharp in the center but less so in the corners... I have recently bought a Zen superdome to address this (and try the 14-24...) but not got it wet yet!

Don

Wow, beautiful photos of a wonderful creature.

Great shot....

It's pictures like this that will get me diving in cold water again.

Fantastic image!

What a picture! They are such amazing animals, and this picture is a really beautiful portrait of them!

/Bent C

Beautiful shot !!

We are going to dive to Melbourne , and Tasmania in November , is there leaffy sea dragons to these places ??

I don't think so , but ...:):):)

Beautiful shot !!

We are going to dive to Melbourne , and Tasmania in November , is there leaffy sea dragons to these places ??

I don't think so , but ...:):):)

No. But lots of weedies. The weedies in Tassy are very beautiful, the ones around Melbourne are not so nice.

Alex

Thanks very much for all the positive feedback feedback - greatly appreciated.

I just heard from a mate of mine who dived Edithburg two weeks ago that there were several leafy's there, which is really good news as the last I had heard prior to that was that somebody had illegally "harvested" numerous specimens for the aquarium trade....

Don

Hey Don

Must have missed this thread when you first posted it ........ But I'm glad I've found it now !!!

Simply bloody AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks for sharing you've inspired me (yet again)

Nice work you :)

Nige Wade

Edithburgh is such a great dive site for a jetty dive. I was gobsmacked by the kaleidoscope of invertebrate life covering the structure

there and the diversity of marine life found there. Looking forward to diving there again some day.

Don take note of the location spelling before you write any articles about it, looking foward to seeing more of your images from there.

Not that I need any more incentive to go there :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Jim.

No. But lots of weedies. The weedies in Tassy are very beautiful, the ones around Melbourne are not so nice.

Alex

Thank Alex , so we will go also to Edithburg. It's a pity to come to Australia without trying to see them !!

By the way could somebody give me a valid adress to contact a dive shop there ,( it's impossible to do so with leafyseadragontours ).

Thank you very much !!

Dominique

Sponsors

Advertisements