mcarey

Professional Storage programs

I am hoping to find out what some of you other video shooters are using for your video libraries? I am getting more and more clips and my archaic system of external drives is starting to drive me nuts.Thanks in advance

Are you asking about hardware or software? Windows or Mac?

I have 2 x Westerndigital 4 TB RAID drives, but in the process of building a Thecus 10 TB RAID 5 drive

Thanks for looking I am looking for the software that some of the pros are using. I am using Mac computers.

If you have a huge library and want to build a server, Final Cut Server is easy to use.

If you have a huge library and want to build a server, Final Cut Server is easy to use.

Thanks Drew I seem to be asking this Question wrong. What I am looking for is a program that will allow me to locate footage that I have logged into it. I was recently shown the program Sound Miner by a friend who records audio. I can tweak it to make work with my video clips but it was not designed for video. I am wondering if any of you have come across or use a similar program to catalog and store your video library?

I know nothing about video, but will Aperture not work and allow you to catalog your videos and keep them stored in a Referenced Library?

Edited by loftus

I have 4 disks:

Main disk - contains apps etc

Movies disk - one folder for each project - contains all the FCP stuff, bits and pieces, exported stuff, final disk image, etc.

Scratch disk - all the stuff that FCP and Soundtrack automatically output - contains the ingested video

Video disk - see below - this is where I keep all the keeper footage.

Starting last year, I move all my "keeper" footage onto an external 5Tb RAID drive (Video) by using the "copy" function in FCP's Media Manager at the end of each project. To make sure I do get all the keeper footage, after I ingest the footage from the camera, I quickly edit to a "first cut" sequence that has anything that might be usable. Later, I duplicate the first-cut sequence into a new sequence that I edit down to a final sequence. But, as long as you select the first-cut sequence and the final-cut sequence when you invoke the media manager copy, you'll get ALL the good footage, whether you chose to use it in the final cut or not. Once done and tested, I then zap the original ingested footage from the scratch disk, freeing up space for the next project.

I've done this for all the 12 projects that I did in 2009 through to now, but I still need to go back to my previous (pre 2009) work and recapture it if I decide to include the older stuff too.

So far, I have been able to rely on my memory to find previous footage. But as the library of keeper footage grows, that's becoming increasingly difficult. So, like you, I am thinking of some software to manage the catalog of video.

As of this morning, I've started to use Adobe Bridge for managing the video catalog. Bridge comes included with PhotoShop and can handle video. It is more of a passive media manager, leaving the video in its original location. So far, I can tell you that it will display the video as thumbnails from the video storage RAID drive, play the video, assign keywords and will even open video clips in FCP if you have the file type assignments right. I havent used it much yet so I can not guarantee that it will work - but it looks promising.

Regards

Peter

Sponsors

Advertisements