Pfuller

Most Photogenic Critters

There are critters of all shapes and sizes that seem to make great photographic subjects, and are on many people's wishlist to see and photograph. Some critters are a challenge to find(Pygmy Seahorse), others are common, but make great subjects(Clownfish, Lionfish etc), while others present a sheer thrill to photograph (shark and whale dives). Others are just wonderfully unique (Leafy Seadragon).

What's on your Top Ten (or Top 5) Critter list? And what dive sites do you want to visit to see them in?

Big Critters; Sharks, Whales, Dolphins - wherever I can find them.

Small things mostly, unusual nudibranchs, and squat lobsters etc. But I am going to be running a clinical trial in Adelaide soon so I really want to see some leafy sea dragons.

Bill

Bill

Get yourself over to Kangaroo Island while you are there in Adelaide, there were Leafys under the pier at Kingscote 18months ago, also it is a great place to visit topside. There's a chap who feeds the pelicans which is usually a good laugh. The only picture of the leafy that lived in a shopping trolley under the pier is on POTW 377 Caged Ice Dragon fairly crudely manipulated I fear.

My wish is for a Basking Shark but I doubt I'll manage it, and another Whale Shark, mine was a while ago without a camera, Manta are nice but having dived the Boiler in Soccorro Islands I've had my ration.

Tim Digger

Edited by Tim Digger

There are critters of all shapes and sizes that seem to make great photographic subjects, and are on many people's wishlist to see and photograph. Some critters are a challenge to find(Pygmy Seahorse), others are common, but make great subjects(Clownfish, Lionfish etc), while others present a sheer thrill to photograph (shark and whale dives). Others are just wonderfully unique (Leafy Seadragon).

What's on your Top Ten (or Top 5) Critter list? And what dive sites do you want to visit to see them in?

Large sponges! They are infinitely patient, very approachable, come in various colors, ...

OK, remove tongue from cheek. They are good targets to lean strobe positioning.

Bob

Who can beat a longnose hawkfish?

post-4522-1307732968.jpg

A dolphin? A whale? Almost any shark? Almost any nudibranch?

It stands to reason, however, that the top 5 are the ones you haven't yet seen!

Tim

:)

I've always been fond of eagle rays - fascinating faces, if you can swim fast enough to get in front of them.

Lovely photo, Simon!

-Gina

Mantas

Giant Black Sea Bass

Rhinopeaus

Harlequin shrimp

My wife

post-6133-1308290824.jpg

Edited by okuma

nudis, everytime. Helps i live somewhere that gives me bundles of them. keeps me on my toes. I love trying to shoot more than an ID shot of them. Try to capture something different/arty. Plus they dont run away.

Ghost Pipes. Although they dont swim off, they move enough to make it a challenge. Trying to bring the black ones out from the background is always fun.

Frogfish. So moody. Always feel every photo i am invading their privacy... which i guess i am.

Mantas, even after 1500+ dives.... still waiting.

Olly

pondohi640.jpg

Hippocampus Pondohi, Bunaken Island

A hippocampus spec. endemic for North Sulawesi.

Cuttlefish and octopus.

Snipe.

I keep waiting and waiting, at the far end of the dive site, with the bag, and making that honking sound thru my regulator the divemasters tell me to. But I've never seen one.

Sponsors

Advertisements