Sign in to follow this  
pool_dude

best channels to sell underwater equipment?

Unfortunately, I have to focus on developing a career right now am now unable to pursue underwater photography. I wanted to know if anyone can suggest the best outlets for selling underwater equipment and solutions on how to best deal with money transfer. I understand that I can do consignment, but obviously, that would not allow me to maximize returns. I plan on selling my Nauticam NA-D90 housing and accessories along with dual YS-250(s).

I was also thinking, should I send the housing to an authorize dealer to certify that it still works?

Thanks to everyone who responds in advance.

Hi guys,

I can recommend the Wetpixel classifieds-if you have a look through the ads, you will get an idea of how people are taking payment etc.

They are here.

Adam

Hi guys,

I can recommend the Wetpixel classifieds-if you have a look through the ads, you will get an idea of how people are taking payment etc.

They are here.

Adam

I agree with Adam, in general the Wetpixel crew know what stuff is worth and so far at least all my transactions with Wetpixellians have been brilliant. Next best might be Scubaboard (yes I know, but they get lots of visitors) then if nothing happens ebay. Selling via a shop using a consignment is something that I only tried once and it was Mike L so it didn't go so well but it might work for you

Bill

Another vote for Wetpixel, but it's pretty tough out there. I know of a few people trying to sell stuff so I would be realistic on how much you will get.

In general, having sold a lot of camera equipment over the years (although not through Wetpixel, but maybe soon) I have found that I get more by selling things separately (i.e. strobes, lenses, housings, cameras) than by selling as a lot.

Cheers,

Marli

I also vote for selling on Wetpixel but you really have to watch your posts because they drop down the line and move over to the next page pretty quickly. I have never bought or sold on consignment and it would be unfair to those that do by judging the H20/Mike L fiasco. That was a singular case of a guy ripping everyone off. I have found that most people are quite honest and I have both bought and sold from the wetpixel classifieds forum without a single problem. I do not recommend using Paypal as a way to secure funds as they take a hefty commission off what is owed to you. Personally, I like checks. Once they clear I send out the article. I have never had someone here bounce a check on me, nor I on them.

Steve

Do you run into problems with people not wanting to send money before they receive the gear?

I also vote for selling on Wetpixel but you really have to watch your posts because they drop down the line and move over to the next page pretty quickly. I have never bought or sold on consignment and it would be unfair to those that do by judging the H20/Mike L fiasco. That was a singular case of a guy ripping everyone off. I have found that most people are quite honest and I have both bought and sold from the wetpixel classifieds forum without a single problem. I do not recommend using Paypal as a way to secure funds as they take a hefty commission off what is owed to you. Personally, I like checks. Once they clear I send out the article. I have never had someone here bounce a check on me, nor I on them.

Steve

You shouldn't. I've bought rather a few used items from WP posts...and sold a few as well. Maybe I'm just "trained" by ebay and online retailer orders, but the assumption should be that the buyer pays before shipping. Maybe the payment may not *release* to the seller for a while though, depends on rules of the transaction (e.g. I think Paypal for non-eBay purchases sort of 'escrows' payment until at least verifiable tracking info is entered).

Even then, buyers do have redress. (As I found out with one attempted purchase here.) Paypal only guarantees they can get the buyer a refund on eBay sales. But if you use your credit card to fund the paypal purchase, you can pursue a charge reversal there. It might make Paypal vs. an unscrupulous seller be the one out the money...but bottom line is that the buyer should have zero excuses for not paying up front. They should do their due diligence on sellers with low post counts, ask for eBay or other equivalent nicknames to check feedback, etc. But as a seller don't be bashful about firmly and politely expecting payment up front. It's not unreasonable at all. (And if you don't like the 3% that Paypal takes, ask the seller to split it with you, or set your asking price accordingly... to me, I prefer the electronic "paper trail" over a check which I can never know if the buyer really sent or not, and as a buyer I'd never give out a CC number even if a seller had a way to process it.)

As to the original question - here and maybe the scubatoys used forum are the only good places I've found for underwater used purchases (the latter more for scuba gear directly not photo related). I also haunt and have scored on eBay but generally as a buyer I think I get better 'deals' at eBay. So I'd suggest posting classified here first, then after a reasonable amount of time if there's no takers, try eBay. Depending on where in the world you are there may also be more local scuba forums or underwater societies with listings you could try.

I have sold some stuff off of Craigs List as well but always, whether on wetpixel or anywhere else, the buyer pays first before shipping. I would advise anyone that they should never accept a Western Union or similar check as all too often they are counterfeit. I have 2 friends who each lost $2,000 a piece going that route. Fortunately, most people here are honest and there is little to be feared. I have never used Ebay, just scared of it I guess so I have no real experience with it except for 15 years ago when I successfully bought some of Erte's art work.

Steve

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements