cor

subal port mounts

Hey all, ive ordered 2 new ND7000 subal housings, but im a bit unclear about the port mounts. I still have 3 macro and 2 domeports of my d2x housings, and many rings. You can get some kind of adapter to fit the old mounts on the new ones right? If so, can anyone explain how they work? Do they need tools? Are they a hassle?

Would it be better to get the ND7000 with the /4 mount size and work with adapters, or should I just get the older /3 size?

Cor

Rather than screw around with adapters, we have ordered our D7000's with type 3 to fit older ports.

I swapped my D700 over to type 4 last summer, as I thought it was a good idea to make the change away from the cost of a new housing purchase. Motivated mainly because I wanted to use the Zen 230 dome. Subal now sell this dome too - and probably in type 3 port. So there is no strong case for changing.

The port adaptor is a very thin ring (1-2mm) that just bayonets on to your old ports and is locked in place with a grub screw. I bought two adaptor rings and then bought new type 4 port extensions - so I could leave the port adaptors permanently on my flat port and mini-dome.

Alex

Which lenses actually need the type 4? New 105 and 14-24?

I'd go with the Type 4 for future proofing. Lenses will only get bigger and fatter. 16-35 is also a fatboy.

I am facing the same decision for my next Subal purchase, and I think I will go for the type 4 ports just for future proofing since lenses seem to be getting fatter. This was the easy decision, the hard one is the camera :) Wait for D700 replacement or get D7000 now, decisions, decisions...

I am thinking that Subal housings can be converted from a type 3 to a type 4 port and visa versa.

They can? Alex, how did you 'swap' yours over?

I don't see changing the housing from a type 3 to 4 (or vice-versa) as an advantage since my problem are the ports (all type 3).

I think Alex didn't convert his housing, he got new (type 4) ports and adapters to make the ports work with his type 3 housing. This way, when he gets his next housing he will be able to get a type 4 and use it with his current ports.

"I swapped my D700 over to type 4 last summer" sounds like he did, right?

I am thinking that my next Subal housing will be with a type 3 since all my ports are type 3.

If I need a type 4 in the future I will get the housing converted.

"I swapped my D700 over to type 4 last summer" sounds like he did, right?

If you read his post carefully you will see that he means he bought type 4 ports with adapters to fit his current type 3 D700 housing (he even mentions the port adapter as being a thin ring), anticipating his new (future) housing purchase. Doing this he will avoid having to buy new ports with his next housing (which I am assuming will be type 4). Selected quotes below...

I swapped my D700 over to type 4 last summer, as I thought it was a good idea to make the change away from the cost of a new housing purchase.

The port adaptor is a very thin ring (1-2mm) that just bayonets on to your old ports and is locked in place with a grub screw. I bought two adaptor rings and then bought new type 4 port extensions - so I could leave the port adaptors permanently on my flat port and mini-dome.

Alex

I don't think there is a way to convert a type 3 housing to type 4 since that requires a wider lens opening, but it might be possible to convert a type 4 to type 3.

If you read his post carefully you will see that he means he bought type 4 ports with adapters to fit his current type 3 D700 housing (he even mentions the port adapter as being a thin ring), anticipating his new (future) housing purchase. Doing this he will avoid having to buy new ports with his next housing (which I am assuming will be type 4). Selected quotes below...

I don't think there is a way to convert a type 3 housing to type 4 since that requires a wider lens opening, but it might be possible to convert a type 4 to type 3.

Heh, I think Alex needs to answer this one as I still dont really read it that way :) He says he bought adapter rings for type3 ports so they fit on a type4 housing mount, but replaced all his rings to type4 rings. So, the way I see it he went from a type3 housing to a type4 housing. He went from type3 to type4 so he could use the Zen dome, which only comes in type4 mount..

I guess Alex just bought a new type4 housing and sold his type3. Or maybe traded it in. Alex?

Anyone consider writting directly to Subal, Austria for a detailed overview?

SOrry for the slow reply. I am in the field - last moment of internet for 1 week.

On newer (post D300) Subal's you can swap the front bayonet between type 3 and 4. It involves undoing a couple of bolts (and maybe, on some housings unscrewing a few other items for access).

Mine was done "while I waited" by Reef Photo. However, on seeing how easy it was I kept the type 3 mount - and even considered swapping it in the field at times - although never had as it is easier still to use a port adaptor. It could be easy to pinch the o-ring putting it back on - so best done by someone experienced at these things - or pressure test afterwards.

I agree with Drew - that while this is not essential really for a current Nikon user (as the 105mm VR fits in the old ports) and who is going to use the 14-24mm on DX (or FX for that matter!) - it certainly benefits future proofing (especially for an FX Nikon user - many DX lenses are smaller). That said, the costs can mount up.

Alex

From the review of the new Subal ND7000 by Andrej Belic

"Another very useful new function is the multiple port adapter. This device can be exchanged to accommodate non Subal ports without the need of restricting adapter rings."

With this new addition is it not possible to get a type 3 and type 4 adapter and change them back and forth as needed. Then gradually upgrade to type 4 ports so you don't have to take the hit of upgrading all at once or am I miss reading this.

This is very confusing...

In the digital era Subal has never actually machined a bayonet into the front of the housings. A bayonet ring that accommodates the port system is attached to the front of the housing with 2 clips/four screws.

In the old days there was only one choice. Now there are more.

Subal proactively increased the port diameter to allow for fatter lenses to be installed. Nikon AF-S 105mm /2.8G VR would work in the old port mount, but it was a tight fit. 14-24 /2.8G could not fit through the port opening. The larger opening was created in response to 14-24, and with the expectation that future lenses wouldn't be getting any skinnier.

You can put an adapter on a Type 3 port (except DP-FE, DP-FE2) that allows it to be attached to a Type 4 housing. At this time there is only one Type 4 port to Type 3 housing adapter, and it is 65mm long (EXR-65/3/4). I've heard that other lengths can be made, but I've never seen it.

With D7000 a new wrinkle has been introduced. Now, in addition to bolting in a Subal Type 3 or Subal Type 4 port mount, adapters for other brand ports are planned. To my knowledge these are also not shipping yet. Adapters is a confusing term, though. This isn't an adapter in the sense of a piece that pops in to allow you to attach another piece, the user basically converts their housing bayonet to another port mount.

These housing bayonet rings could be changed in the field, but it is not how I'd want to spend my holiday between dives.

Personally, if I had a Subal port investment and was shooting DX I wouldn't go through the expense of converting to Type 4. The only lens that requires the update is 14-24, and it isn't a useful focal length on DX in my opinion.

He went from type3 to type4 so he could use the Zen dome, which only comes in type4 mount..

DP-230 is only made in S4. DP-200 and DP-100 are made in both S3 and S4 mounts.

Speaking theoretically, if Nikon were to release a mythical 8-200mm macro-fisheye-wide lens, that only fit a type4 mount, i could at some point decide to convert the D7000 housing to type4?

"DP-230 is only made in S4. DP-200 and DP-100 are made in both S3 and S4 mounts."

Ryan, so how well would the DP-100 work with Canon 15FE on a 5DII?

That would make a nice compact rig for travel!

"DP-230 is only made in S4. DP-200 and DP-100 are made in both S3 and S4 mounts."

Ryan, so how well would the DP-100 work with Canon 15FE on a 5DII?

That would make a nice compact rig for travel!

Hi

i have a DP 230 in S3

contact subal austria Mr.Stangl

Additional benefits of the type 4 mount in conjunctions with the new Subal housings is the port lock (the absence of a port lock for older housings was supposed to be a weakness of Subal and caused some flooding experiences in the past...but not with me!)

When ordering a new housing (like the upcoming D4) I will probably switch to the type 4 and add some port3/4-adapters for my existing type3-ports and extension rings. Right now, they are in the process to make a new portadapter to be also used for the port-lock.

Although, the (existing and upcoming) port adapter does not fit the older DP-FE2 (older 8 inch domeport) -which I have- and thus I guess will have to switch this one as well...what a pity!

cheers!

Sponsors

Advertisements