Aussiebyron

I-Torch Video Pro 3 opinions

I have had the opportunity to use a Sola600 on several occasions and I have been very impressed with the amount of light that it puts out for such a small unit. But What I didnt like about the Sola600 was:

1. The price

2. The switch

3. non user replaceable batteries

I have now seen the I-torch Video Pro 3 (http://www.itorch.ca/videopro.html) which has very similar functions as the Sola600 but:

http://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-p...o-pro-3-review/

1. Retails for $350

2. Push button switch and pressure relief

3. Uses AA batteries and works well with AA NimH

The differences I see are:

1. Sola600 weights 55gm less than I-torch Video pro

2. Sola600 has 679lumens @ 7100k and the I-torch video pro has 650lumens but they havnt stated the colour temp of the light (some suggest 6000k)

I would be interested in those that have used the I-torch video pro of their opinion of it

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm writing a review comparing the Video Pro 3 to the SOLA 600. Should be out next week( was going to be this week, but got too busy!)

Adam

Hi Mark,

I'm writing a review comparing the Video Pro 3 to the SOLA 600. Should be out next week( was going to be this week, but got too busy!)

Adam

Excellent!

I just ordered and received my Video Pro 3, probably would have waited a bit if I had know there was a wetpixel review on the way.

Anyway, I look forward to diving with it this weekend.

Hi JohnSu,

Did you get the chance to use your Video Pro 3 this weekend? first impressions?

Regards Mark

Did you get the chance to use your Video Pro 3 this weekend? first impressions?

No :-(

Typhoon Meari decided to race past Taiwan.

Even though it was just a tropical storm which didn't actually hit Taiwan, it still screwed up our weekend diving (although the surfers had a great weekend!).

So, the real test will happen next week!

I am going on a trip to Bunaken, sulawesi, and it will be interesting to see how (if at all) the Mandarin fish will react to the Video Pro 3's red light mode.

Sorry to hear that you couldnt get out John and good luck in Bunaken.

Adam is your review finsihed? I saw on one of the Nikon D7000 housing you tested had both lights on and I am interested to hear your thoughts.

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm trying to finish it as I write. I need to shoot a couple of images for the review too. The pictures you saw are of the testing in process!

I also received the Sea &Sea MDX7000 yesterday, so need to get diving that!

I beg a little more patience please!

Adam

No Worries Adam.

Must be flat out with all the reviews and such. Looking forward to reading your review.

Cheers Mark

Hi all,

Just to let you know that the SOLA 600 and iTorch Pro 3 review is now on the front page.

Sorry for the delay, and hope you enjoy it.

Adam

Thank you very much for the review Adam. As I havnt seen the I-torch in action against the Sola600 it gave me an idea what its actually like.

Going by the review I didnt know that the I-torch had a much narrower beam than the Sola600's flood. This might be its downfall for those what want a video light for wider angle work. I remembered when I used the Sola600 with my Tokina 10-17 that I had to zoom to about 14-15mm to get full coverage. For serious video work I would be leaning towards two video lights like the Light and Motions new 1200 video lights which look very impressive. On the other hand it would be also interesting to see how long a Sola600 or the other Sola models last regarding their internal battery life and also their sliding switch.

But honestly for the money and the ability to change the readily available AA battery I think the I-torch will a very successful focusing light for macro photography. If they increase the spread of their beam to be on par of the Sola's I think they would have a very competitive product. Maybe an I-torch with similar specs as the Sola1200 would be worth making.

Regards Mark

I met the owner of I-Torch/I-Das arm system at MIDE (Malaysia International Dive Expo) last weekend. He has a new prototype torch with an 80-90 degree spread and 800+ lumens power. Form factor is very small, similar to the Inon Focus lights but a lot shorter. It's supposed to run on lithium batteries with 1-2 hour burn time. Looks mighty impressive with a form factor similar to the SOLA600 only thinner. The bloke said he'll launch this torch when it's ready at DEMA this year. Look out for it. ;)

Just finished a week's diving in Bunaken and tried to use my i-torch video pro 3 in different situations.

I am not an experienced photographer nor reviewer, but, in short...

The fact that this product is named and marketed as a videolight is misleading, because it is not powerful enough and the beam is not wide enough to do so for anything bigger than a nudibranch...so forget about wide angle, it is not even suitable for macro.

So, basically it is a focus light, with a red mode.

I tried the red mode on 5 mandarin fish dives, and noticed no difference between the i-torch and the much cheaper little Chinese made focus light with the plastic red filter inserts I used previously.

The Mandarin fish will not go up and mate when the light is directly on them, but if you cup the torch and follow them with the edge of the beam they will, and you can then give them a full blast while they are up, giving you a split second to get focus and take the shot...but this happens with either the cheap focus light OR the i-torch.

I did NOT try to use the I-torch as a focus light without red mode, so cannot comment on that.

I recieved an email from Doug Taleski, President of I-torch Int. He said that they are bringing out a diffuser for the I-torch video to spread the beam more. He also said that the I-torch Video has a standard 58mm thread on the front which accepts any camera diffuser. They are also releasing more wide angle models in the near future. The I-torch with some 58mm diffusers is still alot cheaper than a Sola600.

Regards Mark

Just finished a week's diving in Bunaken and tried to use my i-torch video pro 3 in different situations.

I am not an experienced photographer nor reviewer, but, in short...

The fact that this product is named and marketed as a videolight is misleading, because it is not powerful enough and the beam is not wide enough to do so for anything bigger than a nudibranch...so forget about wide angle, it is not even suitable for macro.

So, basically it is a focus light, with a red mode.

I tried the red mode on 5 mandarin fish dives, and noticed no difference between the i-torch and the much cheaper little Chinese made focus light with the plastic red filter inserts I used previously.

The Mandarin fish will not go up and mate when the light is directly on them, but if you cup the torch and follow them with the edge of the beam they will, and you can then give them a full blast while they are up, giving you a split second to get focus and take the shot...but this happens with either the cheap focus light OR the i-torch.

I did NOT try to use the I-torch as a focus light without red mode, so cannot comment on that.

I would like to ask, what kind of light you will use for wide angle? how much lumens will be enough? And you use it for night dive or day dive? how deep? My instructor told me when he shot the werck for a TV program, he have to use 6x 100W HID. I will suggest you to use the same with a decent result.

I had a chance to use 2x FE 1500 for my video with FE G-12 housing with the UWL-04 lenses, but still...not enough. But I cannot say FE 1500 is not video light. It is good for macro too.

in short, did you use sola600 to compare the red?

I would like to ask, what kind of light you will use for wide angle? how much lumens will be enough? And you use it for night dive or day dive? how deep? My instructor told me when he shot the werck for a TV program, he have to use 6x 100W HID. I will suggest you to use the same with a decent result.

I had a chance to use 2x FE 1500 for my video with FE G-12 housing with the UWL-04 lenses, but still...not enough. But I cannot say FE 1500 is not video light. It is good for macro too.

in short, did you use sola600 to compare the red?

Why should I "use sola600 to compare the red?"

I compared the i-torch Video Pro 3's RED mode against my US$50 Fantasea Nano LED Pro with a red filter.

The Mandarin fish did not care which light I used, as explained in my previous post.

Also, I do NOT consider the I-torch Video Pro 3 to T be a video light suitable for MACRO (although a diffuser MIGHT make a difference).

I consider it to be just a very expensive focus light and in hindsight I would not have purchased it

Having said that, I love being able to use rechargeable batteries and the extremely sturdy built is great.

If i-torch comes out with a brighter light (maybe an i-torch version of the upcoming Sola 4000) with a wider beam, then I would definitely consider them...but I would also do my homework first and wait for the reviews to come out :-)

Edited by JohnSu

Hi John.

I have been playing with my I-torch video pro and sure enough its beam isnt suited for wide angle video but its more than suitable for Macro use with my 60mm and 105mm. I guess i have to wait until they have the diffuser out and compare the spread then.

Regards Mark

hi john,

why I ask you to compare the red with sola, as I want to know if the mandrain fish will CARE above sola 600 or not. IF all the 3 lights the same, what make sola600 different? And i do think the Mandrain fish maybe trained for years to notice red light....:huh:

By the way, I am playing with my 3x Video Pro2 and just did some DIY reflector to make it soft edge. Will test it at Philippines tmr for some wide angle.

regards

Kelvin

Sponsors

Advertisements