jivemaster

D7000 vs 5d Mark II vs 7d Mark II vs T2i

Best overall dSLR for both video and stills...  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best overall dSLR for shooting both video and stills underwater?

• Nikon D7000
    • Canon 7D Mark II
    • Canon 5D Mark II
    • Canon Rebel EOS T2i

So I'm looking to build my next underwater photo/video setup. I currently shoot a Canon T2i dry and do not already own a bunch of lenses so I'm not "stuck" with Canon.

I'm looking for the most versatile camera for both photo and video. Considering the following:

Nikon D7000

Canon 7D Mark II

Canon 5D Mark II

Canon Rebel EOS T2i

or painfully wait for the Canon 5D Mark III

I have to say the though of video autofocus on the D7000 is very attractive... For housings I'm thinking Subal or Aquatica.

I think both brands take 80% of images comparatively well. Nikon has a bit better noise reduction for crop sensors, but those advantages are around ISO1600 and above, hardly everyday shooting.

It depends on how much emphasis you put on still vs video. Canon's video capability outbounds Nikon (which is taking forever get it right without a real video division and own sensors). They also have a slight edge in resolution.

Nikon's legacy in Nikonos 5 pin strobes (thus access to rear curtain sync, which Canon users only have the Seacam Seaflash 150 which is capable).

For great video capability (up to ISO1600) and good stills, the 60D is a great little camera. The video characteristics are very different from the 5D2 in that it's tuned towards the highlights.

PS> AF underwater is a waste of time. Plus continuous AF in video for more than just pedestrian work isn't as good as you think with the D7000. I'd check it out thoroughly.

What is a 7D Mark II?

What is a 7D Mark II?

i think is the coming soon unit...:)

I agree that Canon seems to be one step ahead on video, they have video in many more cameras, but I think the video on the D7000 is excellent from the samples I saw. For me since I have lots of Nikon lenses the D7000 is the only choice, so my recommendation is for you to take a look at samples (especially underwater ones) and take it from there. With those options you can't go wrong...

They're all pretty good! As Drew said, don't base your decision on auto focus for video underwater though.

If you're happy and comfortable and familiar with the Canon you have I'd stick with that.

if you're thinking of keeping your existing canon for topside then you don't need to learn two different systems/nomenlaclature/menu nav etc. and wont be wasting time thinking about cameras instead of photographs.

If you are keen on Canon, the 5D mkii doesn't offer optical sync; and any Full Frame system will be bulkier to travel with.

They're all pretty good! As Drew said, don't base your decision on auto focus for video underwater though.

If you're happy and comfortable and familiar with the Canon you have I'd stick with that.

if you're thinking of keeping your existing canon for topside then you don't need to learn two different systems/nomenlaclature/menu nav etc. and wont be wasting time thinking about cameras instead of photographs.

If you are keen on Canon, the 5D mkii doesn't offer optical sync; and any Full Frame system will be bulkier to travel with.

Yes I'm starting to think I might stick with Canon - this is one is work related so I may just get another T2i or a 7D.... Which lenses are you guys finding best for underwater video? I was thinking of getting the Tokina 10-17 for wide-angle and 60mm for macro... pretty standard for stills.

Also trying to figure out what strobe/light setup would work best (and stay compact). The Sola 1200s look great, but that would mean having separate lights for video and stills - other option are the Ikelite strobes that also have video lights, but from what I've seen they produce bad hotspots in video mode...

Really just trying to build the most versatile setup for shooting both high quality video and stills...

What is a 7D Mark II?

It was late... ;-)

I think both brands take 80% of images comparatively well. Nikon has a bit better noise reduction for crop sensors, but those advantages are around ISO1600 and above, hardly everyday shooting.

It depends on how much emphasis you put on still vs video. Canon's video capability outbounds Nikon (which is taking forever get it right without a real video division and own sensors). They also have a slight edge in resolution.

Nikon's legacy in Nikonos 5 pin strobes (thus access to rear curtain sync, which Canon users only have the Seacam Seaflash 150 which is capable).

For great video capability (up to ISO1600) and good stills, the 60D is a great little camera. The video characteristics are very different from the 5D2 in that it's tuned towards the highlights.

PS> AF underwater is a waste of time. Plus continuous AF in video for more than just pedestrian work isn't as good as you think with the D7000. I'd check it out thoroughly.

Thank you for your advice... Is it true that the 7d will outperform the 5d2 for low light video? If that is the case I may be sold on the 7d instead of 5d2... or just stick with my 550/T2i

I believe the difference between brands is less than the variables found in the specific shooting enviroments and operater expertise. What ever you go with, give strong consideration to fiber optic strobe capability.

There's nothing going to better a full frame sensor camera for low light, so if that's your concern the 5d, no contest.

In the current guise, the 7d offers more lens choice and 60fps, and cost.

I use a 5d. For what I use it for, dark, wide angle footage, I would still choose this. But for Ocean, daytime stuff, I'd probably chose a 7d just for lens choice.

If I were to go for the 5D, I'd wait for the III.

Also, I wouldn't get too excited about continuous AF on HDSLRs for a while yet, I think we'd have to lose the mirror before we get a workable solution.

10-17 and 60mm are good options. or wait and see what we all think of the soon to be released EF8-15mm L from Canon.

Is it true that the 7d will outperform the 5d2 for low light video? If that is the case I may be sold on the 7d instead of 5d2... or just stick with my 550/T2i

According to this comparison: Zacuto Shootout 2011

The 7D has better result in low light video than the 5D2.

If that is true, it's only valid in video, for stills there is no doubt that the 5D2 outperform the 7D in low light.

With stills we can work with the raw images but in video we must use the camera software and that simply sucks.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW: My choice was the D7000, waiting for the housing now. :rolleyes:

Sponsors

Advertisements