Mermaidabouttown

June/July 2011 where to go?

Hi,

I need some inspiration, wondered if you could help?

I have a month off, starting from today! So im looking at jetting off (from London) with my camera (Canon 7D, Nauticam housing) but Im unsure where to go? Can you suggest some places that would be good for wide angle? I was looking at heading to Hawaii, Kona, but wanted to know if there are any other places that I should really think about going to for this time of year? Ive just come back from the red sea so looking for somewhere else??

Suggestions very much appreciated! Im looking at flying out, (somewhere?) on Monday 27th June.

Hi,

I need some inspiration, wondered if you could help?

I have a month off, starting from today! So im looking at jetting off (from London) with my camera (Canon 7D, Nauticam housing) but Im unsure where to go? Can you suggest some places that would be good for wide angle? I was looking at heading to Hawaii, Kona, but wanted to know if there are any other places that I should really think about going to for this time of year? Ive just come back from the red sea so looking for somewhere else??

Suggestions very much appreciated! Im looking at flying out, (somewhere?) on Monday 27th June.

Hello,

It's a big world with lots of places to dive :rolleyes: What are your constraints - time, budget, water temps, critter preferences, etc. That will help narrow down your choices.

Note that with only one week notice many "good places" will already be booked, so that may further reduce your options.

-Gina

Edited by gina

Liveaboard or shore based???

If you're heading Pacific way you have a load of choices.... If I had the money I would go for a liveaboard in Cocos Islands or Galapagos, if by chance there was space on one! =)

If you love your wrecks, Chuuk is the way to go.... Palau is great for nice drift and reef dives with plenty of sharks...

The brief window for diving Tubbataha reef in the Philippines may still be open..... Sipidan is meant to be amazing...

If your leaving from the UK, have you thought about the Maldives? Scubatravel does really good deals out to the Maldives from the UK.... Also, I can highly recommend diving from the Sea Spirit out there... An English couple I used to work with run the boat, and they are fantastic. =)

If you narrow down what sort of diving is your cup of tea, then it will be easier to give you some options.

Cheers

McLovin

Don't go to kona! There are many better places. I just got back from there and it was a major disappointment. In march went to anilao Philippines. That was a blast. Tons of variety, great for a photographer. But mostly macro. Even if it is raining, it won't matter. The diving was great. Palau is fantastic as well.

In my opinion, On a scale of 1 to 10, the red sea is a 7 and kona would be a 3. With you traveling so far. Don't waste your time with kona. Go somewhere better! For wide angle, Fiji and Palau are the best I have been to. Better than the red sea IMO. Raja ampat, or Komodo I have heard are great for wide angle, but have not been myself.

If you are drawn to the kona manta dive, I have heard it is cool. But I did it 3 times last month and didn't see 1 manta. So it isn't a guarantee. The dives there are very similar, and really no coral to speak of. Plus it is the most expensive crap destination I have been to. A lot of money to not see much. Also the volcano wasn't flowing either. Trust me the diving isn't worth it.

Palau has so many different wide angle possibilities. Walls, sharks, wrecks, jellyfish lake, caves, holes....etc. Fiji has the best and most colorful soft coral in the world, with great viz.

Edited by deeznutz78

I was looking at maybe going to the caribbean, possibly the Bahamas and Turk island??? Maybe stopping off in Florida to dive the USS Oriskany?? Anyone dived that? Recommend?

A lot of people have suggested the Philippines, and I really want to go that way, but I understand it is monsoon season and Im worried that the conditions wont be best for my wide angle....?

Any opinions on the caribbean at this time of year, any suggestions on dive destinations that way, or would the Philippines be ok for this time of year????

Thanks guys, Im really appreciating your input :0)

I was looking at maybe going to the caribbean, possibly the Bahamas and Turk island??? Maybe stopping off in Florida to dive the USS Oriskany?? Anyone dived that? Recommend?

A lot of people have suggested the Philippines, and I really want to go that way, but I understand it is monsoon season and Im worried that the conditions wont be best for my wide angle....?

Any opinions on the caribbean at this time of year, any suggestions on dive destinations that way, or would the Philippines be ok for this time of year????

Thanks guys, Im really appreciating your input :0)

The Caribbean has just entered hurricane season. That being said, hurricanes typically happen later in the season than June/July, but be warned. You may want to consider going to Bonaire - you'll see pretty much the same stuff as in the Caribbean, but they are far enough south that hurricanes shouldn't be an issue.

Note that diving in the Caribbean/Bonaire/Florida you will have a lot less diversity than you would in the Philippines. Caribbean coral is also less colorful, and you probably won't see many fish bigger than an angelfish.

Wherever you end up, have fun!

-Gina

Yep, agree with Gina there.... Caribbean is fun but if you want variety and quantity of life, you will do much better in Asia/Pacific.

That being said, I was in Roatan, Honduras for quite some time, they had some nice walls and its very easy diving. If you dive with Las Rocas, they often take you to some sites that others dont. Mary's Place is great for WA and macro and you also have a few shipwrecks to dive.

Still, I would go Asia/Pacific or the Maldives...

Philippines has a great range across all its islands.... Malapascua has Thresher sharks and Mantas to dive with, but the Viz isn't always that good if you want nice clear water.... but it also has some awesome macro subjects...

Check out Tubbataha in Philippines, if the season is still open..... Amazing visibilty and good variety of life and good for WA.....

Let us know if there are any other spots you are keen on... and have fun! Wish I could go! =)

As far as the Carib goes. What the others said about lack of diversity and color is true. Been to Bonaire not much of wide angle. I would recommend cayman islands. Little cayman and cayman brace have good wide angle opportunities. Plus you always have sting ray city. Which is a great wide angle spot. Being hurricane season, it a little bit of a risk. Other than that the Bahamas shark and dolphin possibilities are always fun.

Sponsors

Advertisements