Sign in to follow this  
ascottj

The Eyes Have It

Hello Members,

I would appreciate your opinion on the three images that follow this short note. If you find any of the shots appealing, which one and why? Which one is more impactful?

Thank you for your critique!

Scott

cozhorse0502001.jpg

cozhorse0502002.jpg

cozhorse0502003.jpg

First one is better lit and the divess is not too cross-eyed :D

The weed between the seahorse and diver is a little distracting in the first image but better in the third.

Hi Scott,

The seahorse is the subject in the first shot, whereas the diver is the subject in the other two.

I prefer the seahorse, although I'm sure the divers are really cool people in person...:-)

Cheers

James

Hi Scott,

I don't like the third image, especially with the single 'branch' over the eye of the diver. It is nowhere near as strong as the first two.

I am actual fond of the second image composition - I think the 'cross eye' actually leads to the sea horse. I like the feeling of the image which to me says "A scuba diver looking at a sea horse" which is cool.

The first image really has the sea horse as a strong main subject and their happens to be a diver nearby (I think the weeds are distracting as well).

I really, really like the idea and way to take advantage of an opportunity to get these shots.

My opinion only :-) Everyone elses milage will vary.

M

Hey Scott,

I like the second shot as well. But, as was mentioned, the diver looking directly at the seahorse with eyes crossed is a little off. Did you, by any chance, get one where one of your models eyes was concealed by the seahorse? (I blocked the right eye of your model on the second shot with paper just to get this idea) I think that would be interesting as it would kind of repeat the single visible eye of the Seahorse.

Just my opinions. Great idea you had.

Rand

Overall, I prefer the first image mainly due to the lighting, as Cybergoldfish mentioned, and also the two-eyed gaze of the diver in that image is the most pleasing to me.

Having said that, I like Rand's suggestion of the modified one-eyed diver shot for the second image. I feel his suggestion would make a great shot, especially trying to recreate the diver's left eye gaze which conveys to me a sense of awe and fascination.

I prefer the lighting in the first image as Bob mentioned. I also agree with Paul in that the seahorse is the main subject in the first. I do not find the weeds distracting. I think the diver overpowers the second shot and the third is excellent except the lighting just is not as appropriate as the first. IMHO

I like the composition of the first shot, but the bright yellow mask takes too much attention away from the seahorse with its more muted tones. Given that this is a digital forum, how about changing the intensity of the yellow mask (don't ask me how! :freak: )

Marli

I like the 1st one most.

What really distracts me from the two main subjects (seahorse and face of the diver) is the yellow suit. I photoshoped it a bit and its far more "focused" on the main parts:

What do you think?

bet regards

Christian

That's interesting that people prefer the first shot. It looks to me like the model is "Smoking" a Seahorse pipe. But, that's what makes a Horserace.

I like the 1st one most.

What really distracts me from the two main subjects (seahorse and face of the diver) is the yellow suit. I photoshoped it a bit and its far more "focused" on the main parts:

What do you think?

bet regards

Christian

I think you should have done the mask as well! and I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said so far, to me though the photos look like an advertisement for the mask rather than photos of a Seahorse

Hello,

I MUCH prefer the 1st shot over the others. I even very much like the branches in between the diver and the seahorse. It makes it look as though the diver is looking at the seahorse covertly with the seahorse being undisturbed by the intrusion.

Very cool shot in my opinion.

John

the photos look like an advertisement for the mask

Well so what if it looks like an advertisement ... that sort of photo sells !

i do like the 1st one more myself ..

but i personnally would have had the model at a slight angle rather than head on .. so you can still see eyes .. but not straight at you.

but this type of image has been used many times here in cayman with arrow crabs and cleaner shrimp for brochures magazines flyers etc .. because they are very attention grabbing and normally of some of the caribbeans more colourful or interesting critters.

i like .. wouldnt have done it myself ... i like the mask ... i like the suit, i like the seahorse, i like the divers eyes. its an all together great shot

well done

Well so what if it looks like an advertisement ... that sort of photo sells !

Too bad the mask manufacturers logo doesn't show up in the photo. They might be a prospective client.

I also prefer #1. It's a nice composition and well exposed.

Thank you to all who have offered opinions. I do appreciate your input. Sometimes it can be quite difficult to appropriately analyze one's own work. When I go on a shoot, I am often trying to capture the same shot in a variety of ways (if possible) in order to satisfy sponsors (product presentation), the publication or advertiser (proper negative spacing for wording) and my own hunger to create (why I really do it in the first place).

In regards to the model and seahorse image, I had pictured the shot in my mind well before going on the trip. I knew it might be difficult to find a seahorse in an elevated position that would accommodate the model being positioned on one side and the camera on the other. Most often, it seems that seahorses know how to position themselves in exactly the right spot to make photography tempting but quite frustrating, if not impossible. :D And, seahorses are relatively delicate, so trying to encourage them to move or physically relocating them is not a good idea.

On the occasion when the images were captured, I was blessed with not one, but two seahorses on the same outcropping. One seahorse was positioned low and was not an option. However, the other was attached near the top and appeared to be looking at creatures swim past.

I took numerous shots for ScubaPro (the equipment manufacturer who had planned to faze out particular mask, but needed mask shots), the magazine, etc. The seahorse even patiently waited while I took shots without the model. If he or she had been able to change colors every few minutes, I would have satisfied my desire for seahorse imagery for the foreseeable future. :D

Upon returning home, I had various thoughts about the shots. I will admit that the first one has consistently appealed to me the most. Still, your critiques have been valuable. I think I will post some other images throughout the course of the year to take advantage of your suggestions and gauge the work. Again, thank you.

Scott

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements