Sign in to follow this  
jim21

bali harliquins

Calling bali experts , where can we see harliquin shrimp.

The ones at seraya are gone !

Also any info on tiger shrimp please.

Had the same problem 2 yrs ago. My theory is that water temperature at normal diver deep is too warm for them, so they moved deeper to cool off. Any thoughts? Between Seraya, Ambon & Lembeh I've generally had the best luck with harlequins at Seraya. Also tiger shrimp.

Edited by jcclink

Had the same problem 2 yrs ago. My theory is that water temperature at normal diver deep is too warm for them, so they moved deeper to cool off. Any thoughts? Between Seraya, Ambon & Lembeh I've generally had the best luck with harlequins at Seraya. Also tiger shrimp.

I think it's a combination of breeding cycles, old age and the fact that they just move around. The water in Lembeh is generally much warmer than the water in Bali, but we still get Harlequins. Last year in Lembeh we did not see many Harlequins, whereas this year, in the last two months, we have seen multiple pairs on four different sites. Harlequins everywhere!!!

The same with Tigers. My preprocessor at KBR told me in the last year he was here he only saw one Tiger Shrimp. Last year, my first year here, we saw Tigers all over the place.

Then there is the 'human' factor. It only takes one irresponsible guide or diver to damage or move the Harlequins. I have heard stories of unscrupulous guides moving Harlequins either close by (so other guides can't find them) or even to their house reefs, so they have 'private' Harlequins. And I have seen damaged Harlequins (missing a front pincer) when the day before it had both...

Jim21

I posted on the prior Seraya link having just been there end of May.

I think you have to make the most of what is there when you go.

For what it's worth (changing daily) we saw Tiger shrimp on the deeper side of Coral Gardens along with Ornate Ghost Pipefish (Black variety) later my wife and (rather I should say the guide) saw one again on a beach dive of the house reef but when I had my turn only the regular cleaner shrimps were visible.

They both told me later (probably out of pity) that one Tiger Shrimp was super tiny even by macro standards.

Speaking of tiny there were some incredible nudibranchs I only fully appreciated once I watched my video at home since they were so small in person. LOL!

Was too tired after 4 or 5 dives a day to watch it all. Have fun.

John

I think it's a combination of breeding cycles, old age and the fact that they just move around. The water in Lembeh is generally much warmer than the water in Bali, but we still get Harlequins. Last year in Lembeh we did not see many Harlequins, whereas this year, in the last two months, we have seen multiple pairs on four different sites. Harlequins everywhere!!!

The same with Tigers. My preprocessor at KBR told me in the last year he was here he only saw one Tiger Shrimp. Last year, my first year here, we saw Tigers all over the place.

Then there is the 'human' factor. It only takes one irresponsible guide or diver to damage or move the Harlequins. I have heard stories of unscrupulous guides moving Harlequins either close by (so other guides can't find them) or even to their house reefs, so they have 'private' Harlequins. And I have seen damaged Harlequins (missing a front pincer) when the day before it had both...

saw two small pnk Harlequins in 5 meters just off Ocean View Resort in Tulamben June 27, also 2 in Ahmed (sorry secret spot of Bali Tours) last week. Contact a good guide who will be able to find you some. that's their job and why we pay (tip) them extravagently!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements