Sign in to follow this  
Neptun 100

My First UW Vid...

Great work, the colours are superb.

Welcome to the heady world of filming on a 5D!

If I may suggest a few things.

The opening shot is way way too long, over a minute. Then it cuts to... another angle of the same coral mound which then cuts to another angle of the same coral mound. To be honest, I got a bit bored looking at the same thing and FFW a couple of minutes and we still had the same coral mound.

You have more excellent shots. You need to be a bit more savage with your cutting. You don't want the viewer to get bored.

I think overall you've got maybe 2-3 mins of footage there, max. Take a look around the web on editing and when to cut. There's the general rule that a cut shouldn't be longer than 7 seconds, but it's all depending on what's happening and what you have to show the viewer.

There's all sorts of tips and suggestions from cut only on movement, cut when you blink... but I generally think you should be paying some attention to this editing process because your footage is excellent, well exposed, the WB is good, nice colours. It's very difficult properly exposing a 15mm FI on a full frame especially in these conditions, and I think you did a good job (was it on Auto?)

If you just trim up the footage and more pay attention to the Why, Where, When, Who and How (ie. show some supporting stuff.. the boat, getting ready, some of the divers etc...) it'll be a good compelling film.

You've tackled the difficult part and that's getting this setup to work and processing the end result. Well done and keep it up! We're a rare breed.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements