martys

Inon Z220 vs Ike DS125

Sorry Phil that website is wrong... The guide number of the DS 125 is 32 underwater and 64 air. That is almost three stops brighter than the z240 with a guide # of 12 underwater and 24 air. You can test this by using your flashmeter and setting both strobes to full power then take a reading at exactly the same distance from each strobe.

Have you verified that the DS125 is 3 stops brighter than the Z-240? The DS-125's air guide number of 64 feet compares to the Z-240's GN of 79, the Z-220's GN of 72 and the DS-200's GN of 76. Inon's Z-240 guide number is 24 meters.

In order for the DS-125 at 110 watt-seconds to be 3 stops brighter, the Z-240 would have to be only 10-15 watt-seconds or incredibly poorly designed. That is ludicrous, of course.

Inon doesn't specify power supply capacity, but it does specify cycle life for various batteries. Z-240 specs

Inon specifies 320 cycles for four 2700mA batteries and that yields 146 watt-seconds per cycle. In other words, the power supplies for the Z-240 and DS-125 are similar in size.

The biggest downside of that test was that it was performed in air. It is not wrong though.

Sorry Phil that website is wrong... The guide number of the DS 125 is 32 underwater and 64 air. That is almost three stops brighter than the z240 with a guide # of 12 underwater and 24 air. You can test this by using your flashmeter and setting both strobes to full power then take a reading at exactly the same distance from each strobe.

You're confusing metres with feet. DS 125 has GN 64/32 in FEET and Z240 has GN 24/12 in METRES. If you recalculate the DS125 to metres, it gives you GN 20/10-22/11. So at least on paper, the Z240 is more powerful.

/christian

Edited by Christian K

Robot,

As you can see not all strobes are tested the same, US. Iklite in feet, the rest of the world in meters and yes I have tested the strobes with a flash meter and the Z-220 has more power than the DS-125 with the Z-240 even brighter.

Phil Rudin

In the center ;-)

FUD. Who says either of them even measure their GNs in the center? If you have evidence that the Inon hotspots to up its GN then I'd like to see it. Otherwise, you must mean that the DS-125 is dead in the center. The simplest explanation, though, is that the Inons are simply brighter.

If you shoot a Z-240 and a DS-125 side by side with the Z-240 set at -1 to accomodate the difference in brightness, the Inon will out-recycle the Ike and provide 2.5x as many cycles per charge at 1/2 the weight. Replacement batteries and chargers are a small fraction of the cost and weight as well.

Craig,

It's not FUD - it's my opinion based on using both strobes. Well, I haven't used the 240, only the 220 but it's pretty close.

Remember, from our past light meter tests, the DS51 is brighter than all of these - which pretty much shows that you need more than one measurement.

Cheers

James

Suggesting that the Z-240 is somehow advantaged by measuring through the center is FUD. Both the Inon and DS-125 are rated at 100 degrees. One may argue whether one strobe is effectively wider than the other, but there's no doubt that the Z-240 is brighter.

Ike rates the DS-51 at 70 degrees with an air GN of 56, significantly weaker than all the other strobes discussed here. I've never performed a light meter test that demonstrated otherwise. It doesn't matter, though, because the Inons are not dedicated macro strobes, they are intended for the same applications as the DS-125.

There's more to a strobe than its guide number, but just because you prefer a strobe's beam shape, the design of its strobe tube, the color of its light or the service of its manufacturer does not mean that the strobe you like is more powerful.

Very good points Craig. If the Z240 is to be used as a wide angle strobe then it should have even coverage and a guide number that is within one stop 50 degrees off of center. At one time you were going to measure this - and I'm very interested to see the results. I shot w/ two of them when I was in Fiji using the Nikon 12-24 and I had difficulty getting the lighting coverage that I wanted. That could have been the strobe or it could have been my lack of skills. Either way, I'd love to see some tests so that I won't have to think about this anymore - lol.

Cheers

James

The Z240 and DS125 have very different output color. I think that explains the difference in efficiency. They are both incandescent sources which means that the one operating at higher temperature, bluer light, will be more efficient in converting electrical power to light. See for example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminous_efficacy

I think you are right, Herb. I studied this briefly and found that, for a given strobe tube, increasing drive voltage improved efficiency and raised color temps. I believe that it's likely that Inon's colder light and its apparent superior efficiency are connected. We don't know all the details of the different tubes of course.

Accepting that the DS-125 is slightly wider and that warmer is more desirable, you can still use a diffuser and a warming filter on the Inon and get similar light output. You will not get the DS-125's 1 second recycle in that case, you will get 1.6, but it remains half the weight. The thing with Inons is that AA battery technology continues to improve. Proprietary battery packs generally do not and are much more costly. I would love a higher power wide angle strobe that used AA batteries. An 8 cell Inon Z-320??? An 8 cell DS-200???

Strobe advocacy is a lost cause, of course. People end up choosing one brand or another and like what they choose.

Good pt about the batteries, I hadn't thought about that. Since I've been doing UW photography they have gone from 1600 to 2700 MaH - not bad.

With that said, the Ike battery packs generally have standard NiCad or NiMH cells in them. The big packs for the SS400's can be re-celled with D-cell NiMH and I think the DS125's have a standard cell inside too but I could be wrong.

I wish I could have a mix of strobes, DS200's for WA and the Inons for macro but it is also a pain having two types of cords, etc.

Cheers

James

Sorry Phil that website is wrong...

Although it is possible that an uploading error might occur, I believe that the present information found in the StrobeFinder to be consistent with that published by the respective manufacturers. I would also like to add that prior to originally publishing the database, Ike Brigham verified all Ikelite specifications, including the DS 125. And Mark Rupert verified all INON data, including the Z220.

As stated, information found in the StrobeFinder comes directly from published specifications provided by the manufacturer. There exists only two exceptions to this rule. The underwater weight of the DS 125 (NiCAD battery pack) was calculated independently and verified by Ike Brigham. The newly released S&S YS 250Pro Watt second rating was measured by a respected independent test facility and can be found by clicking the "notes" link (250 Ws).

For uniformity, all Guide Numbers listed in the StrobeFinder are posted in Meters, ISO 100. Some manufacturers provide both top side and underwater Gn's. Most however provide only the top side guide number.

Not all manufacturers list Watt second ratings.

Strobes are not equally efficient at taking advantage of their stored energy. Strobes by design also use their energy storage differently (some spread the light more whereas some focus their energy more "precisely").

Ikelite strobes tends to derive their model names from their approximate Watt Second rating (DS 51 = 50 Ws, DS 200 = 200 Ws, etc). INON strobes tend to derive their model names from their top side guide number rating, listed in meters (ISO 100). For instance, the D 180 has a top side GN of 18 (meters, ISO 100) and all versions of the D 2000 (S, W, Wn, etc) are rated through air by INON at GN 20 (M, ISO 100). Z-240 =Gn 24.......and so on......

hth,

b

I would love a higher power wide angle strobe that used AA batteries. An 8 cell Inon Z-320??? An 8 cell DS-200???

You can use 4 Z-240. I've see someone dive with 4 Inon strobes. It's not that unwieldy.

Yes, AA batteries have made a lot of progress. Not long ago they were a liability. Now I think they're the way to go for power as well as size and cost. You don't have to worry about custom chargers, cell matching, and special packaging. A custom battery is clearly preferred once you get big enough, but the crossover size keeps getting bigger and bigger. I think an 8 AA-cell strobe could be quite powerful and still fast.

I'm going on my next trip prepared to dive with quad Z-240s. I'm using a single arm on each side with a triple clamp expanding to two strobesand I'm driving the second pair as fiber-connected slaves hoping to avoid having to control quite so many individual power settings. 4 Z-240s gives you a lot of flexibility in shaping the coverage and yields lots of power yet is lighter than a pair of DS-200s and makes a better macro solution. I hope it's managable. I've done an entire trip with triple Z-220s on three arms and it was not difficult.

I stand corrected :rolleyes: Being an American I am used to feet instead of metric. The website had listed the guide numbers in meters and was ambiguous in doing so. I am however very familiar with professional stobes, guide numbers and watt seconds. The Inon seems a weaker choice to me however because of the battery design(recycle time & life) and the flash tubes they use. If you look at the strobe heads the ikelite has a ring type flash tube. These are similar to the flash tubes in professional strobe heads like (dyna-lite, profoto, etc.) By nature they have a larger circular coverage angle. Inon gets around this by having two small linear flash tubes mounted perpendicularly from each other.

Enough about that though. In my work I use many different strobes and light is basically light. I'll use different power for different subject matter. The main determining factor is which system is appropriate for what I am shooting or which I am more comfortable with.

Inon Z220 and the Ike DS 125 are both capable of good quality so this tread is a little silly. :)

happy shooting!

I can't give you an objective test, as I use the notorious Ken Rockwell excuse of "art" not "measurement".

But, I have used the lower-power Z-200s for several years to cover not only a 12-24mm, but also a 10.5mm.

Subjectively, the coverage is quite even with a diffusor plate, and "hot-spots" are usually down to my poor strobe positioning:

post-4522-1189422790_thumb.jpg

12-24mm

Tim

B)

Sponsors

Advertisements