Sign in to follow this  
Damo

Some Maldives breathold shots

Hello guys n gals,

Been a while.

Hope you find them...er...interesting..:-)

D

ps. the shark shot was the best of a bad lot- my first attempt at 'over-n-under'- viz wasnt great that afternoon- but had alot of fun trying

:-)

post-18600-1311841254.jpg

post-18600-1311841265.jpg

post-18600-1311841277.jpg

post-18600-1311841290.jpg

post-18600-1311841306.jpg

post-18600-1311841351.jpg

Amazing results for freediving, or any sort of diving really.

Fantastic shots,i really love the split level with the blacktip.

I'm a freediver myself so I can appreciate the effort in swimming with a large SLR rig!

I like the 4th one, with the light coming through the deck.

Hi Damo, you certainly did well with the breath holding shots. I have tried and failed miserably at the same half in half out shot on various islands in the Maldives so well done for that as well.

All the best

Stew

Thank you all so much for your kind words.

There is always room for improvement methinks...but doing these photos really teaches you alot about trying to get the right moment...and fish behaviour.

Just fyi.

The typical subject depth was max. 2-4 meters. ..some shots taken hanging vertically, with legs straight up towards surface..so technically upside down...its easier.

I found the use of a light weight belt a great help in steadying yourself.

Some of the shots were taken one handed..because the other hand was being used to grip a piece of dead coral or structure.. trying to keep myself steady and in position.

Most of the shots were 'best of a bad lot'....I would repeatedly breathold dive to try again.

For the under over shot, I was just crouching waste deep in water on the surface..messing around with the sharks...trying to do the whole scene justice.

All in all tho'....great fun and a nice challenge..

Here's another I took of an Anthias, on breathhold....what drew my eye was the weird mutation growth in his mouth.

Have a look..

post-18600-1312067423.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements