Sign in to follow this  
Fontaine

Using Different Strobes Together?

Hello,

Im trying to figure out what strobe to purchase for my current set up. I use a canon 500D with a s&s ys-27 strobe for my macro set up and am perfectly happy with it. However now I have purchased a WA setup (Tokina 10-17 and fish eye port). In my mind what i would like to do is buy a mid ranged WA strobe like the YS-110a and use it with my YS-27 while shooting with my WA setup. My logic is that if you can get good shots with just one strobe then surely having two different strobes shouldn't be an issue. Is there something i'm missing??? Which strobe set up would you recommend I get that will shoot wide enough for the Tokina 10-17mm?

Thanks for any advice!

Fontaine

I think it's a bit difficult because for me in many cases I have to set both strobes at the same power and having 2 different strobes you won't be able to do that. Another possible issue is different strobes give you different warmth which causes uneven colour in your photos. I'm speaking from my experience with 2 different brands tho, so in your case it might be different. But to be safe it's better to have 2 same strobes for wide angle.

Two different strobes are not worth the hassle - from experience.

Agree with Seok above!

S&S 90, 110 & 27 all have the same guide # & color temp, so should be not problem mixing them. Just relatively small differences in angle of coverage. I've been using a pair of 27's for everything, with 110's as backup. With the 10-17 you need to be close to subjects (like real close), so these strobes will have enough output. I'm usually on 3/4 power for WA & 1/2 for macro.

Edited by jcclink

Good to know they have the same color temp.. maybe it's worth a try then? You can always get another pair of 110 if you're not happy with the setup. Try with the 27 closer to your subject and 110 to light up the further away ones...

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements