Sign in to follow this  
sufur

some clips from my canon hf g10

So i finally got home and had a chance to test out the L&M bluefin housing and standard flatport for the canon hf g10 and the gates vl8 lights. Here are a couple of clips i put up on vimeo. The lights were on and on full power in all of the shots. Definstely a bit of a learning curve trying to figure out what the buttons do. The housing is a bit negative. if you let go of it...it basically noses down and flips upside down and then just sinks. i tried putting some floats on the ulcs light arms but even with 4 of those it still flips over. So i just bought the L&M float for the housing, but no chance to test that out.

goliath groups at about 100ft depth

Green Moray at about 75 feet depth

a big yellow fish :) at like 60 feet depth.

The poor thing is obviously scared. I feel bad for it...

Anyhow the raw footages are always the most interesting. You clearly have not used manual white balance in those clips. I would be curious to hear about your experiments with it once you get there (or using presets).

Enjoy your new camera!

The poor thing is obviously scared. I feel bad for it...

Anyhow the raw footages are always the most interesting. You clearly have not used manual white balance in those clips. I would be curious to hear about your experiments with it once you get there (or using presets).

Enjoy your new camera!

i did use it in a couple of clips jsut not sure which ones. And i really wasnt sure if i was doing it right. at one point i had my wetnotes out and i would just hold them in front of lens and it would say it was white balancing but i couldnt tell if it was right or not. How far in front of the camera do you have to hold the object your white balancing off.

Here is a video with a lot more of the clips from those dives. some came out super blue. and some are washed out from the lights i was using. hopefully i will figure this rig out and be able to get soem better video next time. always looking for more advice.

boynton beach, fl diving

Hey Neal,

Welcome to the world of underwater videography. Unxplorer is correct, you really need to set your white balance. Two important things I noticed....1)concentrate on holding the camera steady, a shaky clip is not worth using and 2) try to always shot slightly up on a subject and not down. When you shoot down, your subject becomes flattened out. The groupers were all shot from above so get down below them and shot from an up angle. You will see a great improvement in your footage as a result.

Congrats on your new system.

Steve

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements