Sign in to follow this  
Drew

Shark Week "How Sharks Hunt": Are they mishandling sharks to get the shot?

Thanks Drew for bringing up this delicate topic. I don't think there is anything derogatory or unfair toward Dolphin Dream posted here. Ultimately they are responsible for their own actions, and they made the decision that the charter fees they'd gain and any followup business that was encouraged by their association with this program was worth the business they'd lose from people who disagree with this sensationalist portrayal.

In addition to contacting Discovery, maybe some feedback might influence how the staff of Dolphin Dream handles sharks, and the access they give film crews in the future?

http://www.dolphindreamteam.com/Sched/form.html or info@dolphindreamteam.com

I personally disagree with the handling of this animal, but that isn't even my biggest problem with these companies.

In my opinion this segment only perpetuates the man eater myth. It is also my opinion that the man eater myth makes it easy for people to overlook the global overfishing of sharks. If I were an operator in the position to influence public perception, I'd do everything in my power to do it. I'll support businesses that have similar values.

I have less sympathy for Gurney Productions than Dolphin Dream. I doubt that voicing concerns over their portrayals of sharks would have any impact. Contacting their sponsors might, though. I'm not sure that Suunto would appreciate their products being associated with this kind of programming.

http://www.gurneyproductions.com/show_sponsors

Edited by Ryan

Good suggestions Ryan.

Suunto's general telephone line is +1-800-543-9124

Oakley : 1800 431-1439

E-mail Address:customercare@oakley.com

Discovery also has an ethics hotline for their employees, including the production crews. How Sharks Hunt may not apply but perhaps "Surviving Sharks" and the stunts they pulled does.

The Bionic Bob dummy getting bitten by Tiger sharks segment at Tiger beach is unethical on 2 fronts. One, they allegedly use fish scent on the wetsuit of the dummy to get the sharks to approach. That's faking it, which admittedly a lot of other programs do. After all, it is TV.

Secondly, with the association to food factor gaining more weight with the Sharm El Sheik attacks, it'd potentially endanger the people diving in the area. Apparently the latest theory by Ralph Collier, as discussed on Discovery's own Rogue Shark program, lends more weight to the habituation of oceanics being fed by hand and associating humans with food. This included where and how the shark bit the victims.

Both are very thin when it comes to actual ethical breaches but hey it's no thinner than the bad science the Guerney programs pretend to use. :)

I don't think this is a delicate matter at all. Facts are all there for people to see and decide for themselves.

Am I correct to assume that you have never sent an email or letter to the Dolphin Dream Captain to voice your concerns Drew. I would have thought that would have been the first thing that you done after the very first time of viewing the footage.

If you did email them, what was the Captains response? I would be interested in hearing what Scott had to say on this matter.

What about Guerney? were they emailed with a letter of complaint? What response did you get from them?

I agree that if no email or letters have been sent then it would be a good idea to approach the Captain with reasons why he should not use chain and lead weights and any other suggestions that are beneficial to sahrk conservation. That doesnt mean that I think that emails should be sent slagging the guy off, I feel it would be better to have someone like Shawn explain what he feels is wrong and what course of action should be taken to rectify the problems. As I have said the Captain is a sound guy and if approached in the correct manner would listen.

Stew

Edited by stewsmith

With no response in 6 days to the last posting where I asked you quite specific questions and also no response to my PM that I sent you Drew I will assume that you have never raised these issues with the Dolphin Dream directly, but you feel it is perfectly acceptable to continue to slag the company off. Shame on you.

Stew

Edited by stewsmith

Stew,

I didn't answer because the facts are already there for all to read. Moreover, I don't think your line of question is about the topic anymore. I will, however, answer your questions for the sake of clarifying a few things.

As far as contacting the involved parties is concerned, the letters were sent to Discovery / the producers of shark week, hence would reach the production companies and even Les Stroud. Les, in turn, responded by appearing in PSA messages touting shark conservation, even going on Larry King to proclaim his conservation stance. Still, he continued working with Guerney on shows like Surviving Shark with Bionic Bob etc. The other posters like Ryan, have been able to glean from the programming that Guerney Productions are clearly not about to change based on criticism but probably want it for controversy to boost ratings.

As Shawn and Ryan has alluded, Dolphin Dream were told of the controversy (even existing customers talked to them regarding their practices) and they made a choice to allow shows like How Sharks Hunt to be shot on the boat. It's clear what their position is.

Funnily enough, you yourself claimed to have sent Dolphin Dream an email as well, questioning what was allowed on the Dolphin Dream and considered it harassment of the sharks! Obviously that was just a video with play acting and clever editing. I fail to see how people play fighting and not actually TOUCHING any sharks was harassment in your view, to the point where you were outraged by Eric's indifference to the video. Yet having an untrained wrangler like Cody to muscle the bait , wrangling the shark with chains and a lead weight, where the shark can damage their skin and loose teeth, and as clearly shown in the video, also endangering the crew, all for the sake of a TV shot, isn't harassment of wildlife?

You claim I'm "constantly" "slagging" (your word not mine) DD whenever I can. I count 4 posts in the last 3-4 years about Dolphin Dream. The 1st post, I was factually recounting what happened on the Dolphin Dream during the production of the programs and the rest discussing what happened. Shark Week is an annual event and programs will be the talking point during or after the week is over, very much like this thread. The programs are all shot within a year or 2 of broadcast and are current. You may find it extraneous but 1200 hits and the various responses proves these topics to be relevant for discussion, which is the point of the forum.

Only in 1 post do I bring up the issue in a thread that was very relevant because I think it's an important one. Judging from the response of posters in this thread, I am not the only one to think that the operators should be more responsible for the shark's well being. The embedded videos show what's going on on the boat during the productions, not the atypical client trips.

I hope this answers your queries sufficiently. I, like Shawn and others, would be very happy if operators like DD and Guerney would stop this sort of antics. Evidently their stance on this is intransigent. Similarly, judging from your recent posts and the shifts in your position, this is less about the topic of the thread and more about personal attack, which is not allowed on WP.

So YOU have never contacted the Dolphin Dream Drew. Or Guerney Productions. Thanks for answering my questions.

Stew

Edited by stewsmith

I'm sorry but I do detect some prejudice in thread towards one operation as against another. We all have friends and it is unfair to see a friend unfairly pilloried but as Stuart Cove would say "Did they spell the name right?"

Edited by John Bantin

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements