Sign in to follow this  
karant

Nikon D7000 Manual strobe settings

I have a brand new Nikon D7000 and Aquatica housing. I am having difficutly getting my strobes to fire manually. I followed the Aquatica instructions to be sure the switches in the housing bulkhead are in the off position. I set the camera flash to manual. What am I missing here? This new camera has a few more options than my previous D200, so I am wondering if there are more menu options for flash that will allow camera/housing to communicate.

Thanks,

Kathryn

Which strobes are you using Kathryn.

Which strobes are you using Kathryn.

I have Inon Z240's and Ikelite DS-125's. I have used all of these previously with D200/Aquatica setup.

For my new D7000 housing they have installed one bulkhead for fiber optics which works nicely with the Inons. There is also one electrical which does not work with the Inon or Ikelite strobes.

is the small button below the power dial on the inon pushed in?

is the small button below the power dial on the inon pushed in?

Does that matter for electrical sync? I thought I remembered that the pre-flash button had no effect when syncing electrically but my housing is in Galapagos without me so I cant test it.

Bill

The magnet switch under the exposure dial is the Preflash Cancel circuit magnet switch and

there is still a lot of confusion about what it does and what not.

As the name says, it is a PREFLASH cancel cirquit and connecting the Z240 by a electrical cable

there is no need of a preflash cancel cirquit as this cirquit relies on optical triggered slave mode.

While the original INON manual is rather confused and difficult to understand, i suggest you to read this articles from Reef Photo and Video:

http://www.reefphoto.com/tt/index.php?acti...b&article=7

http://www.reefphoto.com/tt/index.php?acti...&article=15

Please try to contact by PM viz'art ( http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1676 ) as he is the technical adviser from Aquatica and he will be glad to help you.

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer

The ACC button MUST be pushed in when firing strobes electrically, otherwise the Z-240 ignores left and right switch settings and fires a low power burst of light that is rather ineffective.

What exactly is happening Kathryn? Not firing at all or just not syncing or?

Jack

The ACC button MUST be pushed in when firing strobes electrically, otherwise the Z-240 ignores left and right switch settings and fires a low power burst of light that is rather ineffective.

Yes, I can attest to this having missed a few nice coral spawn shots last week. I'm gluing the switch down on my z-240's again.

Cp

Thanks Ryan for pointing this out, as i was wrong saying that the Advanced Cancel Circuit affect only the optical slave mode.

The INON Z-240 Type 4 Manual states:

Page 37: When connecting with electrical cable, set depending on your camera / camera system and flash mode. For details see P. 52

Page 52: There is a diagram when and not to push the knob to disable the Advanced Cancel Circuit.

It says DON'T push the knob in manual mode for the following camera groups: X1-LZ / Nikonos-RS / F100-5P / F-90-5P / F5-5P

IT states push the knob in manual mode for the camera groups: D100-5P / D100-V2 / D70-5p / D70-V2 / D200-TM / D200-V2 / NikonD-X

The Nikon D700/D300/D200/D100/D90/D80/D70/D50 will be camera group NikonD-X if the housing has Ninonos V Connector and 2/3 cables

(ground/trigger or ground/trigger/ready light), so the knob HAS to be pushed in.

It is true that the Z-240 is very configurable, but the manual is very confusing....

Well to make everything more confusing:

1) When using in Optical D Cable Connection/Optical Cable Connection/Optical D Slave Cable Connection

2) When using Z-240 with (TTL Auto non compatible) digital camera system under electrical cable connection

[PUSH] --> Advanced Cancel Circuit Switch = [OFF]

[LIFT] --> Advanced Cancel Circuit Switch = [ON]

3) When using the Z-240 and (TTL Auto-compatible) Film camera/camera system, with electrical cable connection:

[PUSH] --> TTL Auto = [OFF]

[LIFT] --> TTL Auto = [ON]

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements