brisa125

Underwater baby photography lighting

Hi,

I am looking to start taking photos of babies underwater in swimming pools and trying to figure out what lighting i should use.

I will be using a 5D MKII that is in a housing used for surfing so i'll have to bodge how the light fits to the rig. But that's another issue.

At present I don't want to spend too much as i'm not sure if i'm going to pursue it full time so I was wondering if there are any cheap lights out there.

I'd only be after one at the moment. Would the light being in the babies eyes be an issue i wonder?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

So i guess i'm after a cheap, single strobe that gives a wide-ish light. It's only going to be a little bit of fill light so doesn't need to super powerful.

Any suggestions?

I set up some fiber optic sync to my surf housing and canon camera using the sea and sea 110a.

However with such an awesome camera and low light capabilities. Have you tried going a cheaper route first?

My two ideas:

1. Using a simple reflective fill card. This should work great if you are outdoors or in a very bright pool.

2. Setting up a wide beam dive light on a home made pvc stand, with a thin white sheet or plastic infront to give it a nice soft fill light.

I've used Kowalski Xenons with success although the swimming pool that I normally do this in has just fitted ND anti-glare film onto the windows making the ambient light too low to continue in this particular pool. However good video lamps in a well lit (daylight) pool can give very good results on a 5D2 at higher ISOs.

If you have a surf housing you can buy a housing for your speedlite (580EXII????) or whatever the Nikon equivalent is now. Fit it with one of those big white "cloud" diffusers and you should be good to go for some nice fill light.

I have a baby and I think he's pretty used to being "flashed" as we take millions of photos of him - so I wouldn't worry about that.

Cheers

James

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

I like the idea of a wide beam dive light on a stand. Can you recommend any lights?

James. How would I trigger the speedlite?

If the pool is outdoor, I use Lite Disk type reflector, I actually got mine in the automobile section, they are used inside the windshield for blocking the sunlight (just don't get the one with the tweety bird printed on them) they come in white and highly reflective silver, unlike the more expensive Lite Disk, mine have a plastic tensioning loop instead of metal (which will rust and stain) but they still fold up lite the Lite Disk at a fraction of the price!

Just make sure to stop the pool pump or your assistant is in for a ride :)

Edited by Viz'art

I think i'll have to go for a wide beam dive light.

Can anyone recommend a cheap one?

Ikelite pro2800 video lite....

100 Deg. 2800 lumens

BTW- this is an example of shooting with two strobes (DS125)

on the black beckground Image, I used a pro2800 as a focus light (700 lumens)

post-21562-1327559162.jpg

post-21562-1327559237.jpg

post-21562-1327559275.jpg

I belive that the lens you use also have it impact...

What lens do you use?

Sponsors

Advertisements