andycornish

Setting up a strobe, instructions vs common sense

Just set up the strobe with my compact for the first time and in the instructions it says to put the strobe a meter away and put the highest setting (most pre flashes) on and then take a photo. If the flash does not fire then go down settings until it takes a photo. The strobe went off at setting 2 (2 pre flashes) but when I take a photo and watch the flash I cannot see any pre flashes. Is this because they are quicker than I can see ?

Is this the right method for setting it up ?

Also is this the only method I will be able use to set it up before i try it in the water ? Only got one chance to dive and practice before I go to tenereife.

For reference its a Fuji FX80 EXR and a Fuji 'Remora' strobe with a fibre optic link.

Just set up the strobe with my compact for the first time and in the instructions it says to put the strobe a meter away and put the highest setting (most pre flashes) on and then take a photo. If the flash does not fire then go down settings until it takes a photo. The strobe went off at setting 2 (2 pre flashes) but when I take a photo and watch the flash I cannot see any pre flashes. Is this because they are quicker than I can see ?

Is this the right method for setting it up ?

Also is this the only method I will be able use to set it up before i try it in the water ? Only got one chance to dive and practice before I go to tenereife.

For reference its a Fuji FX80 EXR and a Fuji 'Remora' strobe with a fibre optic link.

Typically you can't see the preflash it is quite short and often not very strong. But, to proceed there is always the experimental approach. Set up a scene (flower or something with color) on your kitchen table. At night (so as not to worry about ambient light) take some pics at all of the settings. See which ones "work" and write them down. Use those setting UW and you should be fine.

Bill

Ok thanks for clearing that up, I will give it a try setting up at night im assuming that you want the photos that have the most amount of light in ?

Im sure this question has been asked a million times over, but im assuming that setting the strobe light level is a trial and error combined with conditions to get it right ?

Also for night dives do you still use the strobe or is it purely done by torch light ?

Ok thanks for clearing that up, I will give it a try setting up at night im assuming that you want the photos that have the most amount of light in ?

Im sure this question has been asked a million times over, but im assuming that setting the strobe light level is a trial and error combined with conditions to get it right ?

Also for night dives do you still use the strobe or is it purely done by torch light ?

If you are using TTL then you should be able to get pics at all f stops from 2 to 22 with the same exposure ie. they should all be properly exposed. If you are using manual then only one of the f-stops should be well exposed, smaller f stops (bigger numbers) should be dark and bigger f-stops should be overexposed at a given strobe power setting. Then you should test to make sure that for a proper exposure if you increase strobe power the scene should get lighter and if you decrease the power the scene should get darker.

Hope this helps

Bill

For night dives your strobes will provide basically all the light required for the photo. You will use your torch for framing and focusing but only the strobes will provide enough light for the photograph.

It is very unlikely you will have a torch bright enough to light subjects for the camera to capture. If it was bright enough, it is unlikely the beam would be wide enough or consistent enough. If it was bright and wide enough, it is likely the colour would be wrong making white balance more difficult.

Thanks for all the invaluable advice :)

Sort of related question, I have had it suggested to me that I get a focusing light, and had this one suggested 'Fantasea Nano Focus Light'. Out of the weeks diving only one will be a night dive, with finances tight is it worth buying it ? Will I notice a difference during the day ?

It really depends on your camera and how well it focuses in low light as to whether a specific focus light is required. My D300 generally performs well in low light and all I need is a small dive torch mounted on my housing for the camera to be able to focus - and the torch doesn't even have to be pointed directly at the subject.

Thanks for all the invaluable advice :B):

Sort of related question, I have had it suggested to me that I get a focusing light, and had this one suggested 'Fantasea Nano Focus Light'. Out of the weeks diving only one will be a night dive, with finances tight is it worth buying it ? Will I notice a difference during the day ?

A focus light will help indeed but you can easily rig up a very cheap underwater light to do the job.

Bill

Thanks for all the invaluable advice :dance:

In the day? No, unless you are in British vis!

The "Nano" worked quite well with my old D200, but the connection to the housing is almost as expensive as the light!

Tim

:B):

Edited by tdpriest

Sponsors

Advertisements