Sign in to follow this  
MPC

Black backgrounds

Just got back from Bonaire and I am a little disappointed in my macro and fish shots.

I still can not seem to get those WOW shots with the black backgrounds!

Is this something I might be able to do in lightroom? Or more on the camera settings when shot?

I used a fast shutter of 1/200 to sync my D90 with my strobes and went with a aperature of f22 or even f29.

I thought that was the way to go but I have not dove in 15 months!!!!

Any help would be great!

We head to La Paz in October, maybe then I can get it right!!!

There is a bit you can do in Lightroom if you simply have particulate to remove. You can also change the curve to strong contrast to boost the shadows. However, it is not just about shutter speed but strobe position and your angle of shooting. If there is something aside from water right behind the subject, you are going to illuminate it is your strobes are pointed straight ahead. It can often help to aim the strobes inwards towards each other and the subject which is in between. If you can go up to 1/250, do so.

Cheers,

Marli

In the D90 Flash/exposure menu you can turn on "auto FP"

That will let you go up to a 1/250 flash sync if i remember correctly.. anyway try it out!

Use the lowest ISO available and don't shoot towards the sunny side, otherwise you're doing as much as you can settings wise. Might just be subject/background selection.

Also, consider the use of a snoot. I found that in shallow water, especially over a sand bottom, the ambient light can be too high to get those black backgrounds, but by using a snoot I could light just the subject and get a black BG even in 5-6m of very clear water.

There is a trick somewhere on here about taping one of the pins on a D90 flash to allow 1/250. When I had Ike strobes I could only get 1/200, but now I have S&S I can go to 1/250

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements