While I'm normally more a stills person, I took a few minutes of video on the 5DII on each of my dives in Layang Layang. I've finally got around to sticking it together (much easier than I thought it would be from a technical perspective). I'm less sure about the composition - are my shots too long, too short, not interesting enough? I know some video lights would improve the colours, and they're on the wishlist but a little way off. All comments appreciated!

Welcome to the wonderful world of video. No need to mention lights, you already know that some are needed. Loved the early clip of the freediver on their back with the school above them. I would suggest that you avoid filming backside shots, either for marine life( your barracuda school) or people. The last clip of the boat did go too long for me as did some of the diver's shots. Also noticed some jerkiness that may have been a result of your keyframing or how you compressed and encoded. Sometimes it helps to know what system and NLE you are working on when asking for comments. The bottom line for most any film is that it fits the producer's vision. Sit on the film for a week or so and then look at it again. Do you now see anything you would trim or cut? Doing so usually makes for a better end result.

Congrats on this, your new endeavor.

Steve

Thanks very much Steve. Apart from the lights, I think the main thing the video is suffering from is my inclination to shoot stills of the cool stuff. I wanted to take a few minutes of footage on each dive, but a lot of the clips were taken immediately before or after the cool thing happened that I wanted a photo of - especially evident with the hammerheads! I did a second run through before publication and cut almost every clip in half from the original length, and then wondered if I just have a short attention span. I think I agree with you on the final surfacing clip too...

I'm using a Mac and iMovie to edit things together. I've been putting off doing anything with this video because I thought it was going to be difficult. As it turns out, it's really easy...but possibly a little more experience would help the quality somewhat. There seemed to be very few export options apart from size - am I missing something?

Sponsors

Advertisements