Sign in to follow this  
glamourpuss

nudibranch red sea

I came across this little guy on a night dive last week in the Southern Red Sea. Couldn't find him in any of the books. He was only about a 2cm or so long, so could be a juvenile that will change colors into something more recognizable later, but not sure.

Anyone got any ideas?

6168751952_9f4cc893b6.jpg

I came across this little guy on a night dive last week in the Southern Red Sea. Couldn't find him in any of the books. He was only about a 2cm or so long, so could be a juvenile that will change colors into something more recognizable later, but not sure.

Anyone got any ideas?

6168751952_9f4cc893b6.jpg

It looks more like a flatworm - possibly unidentified.

I can't find it in any of my reference books. It may be worth sending to Bernard Picton who is the Curator of marine invertebrates at National Museums of Northern Ireland - bernard.picton@nmni.com

Yes, it's a flatworm. Nudibranch books will not be helpful.

:-)

Got an email back from Bernard Picton, and he also has no idea what kind of flatworm it is.

Yes, it is certainly a flatworm, but I’ve no idea what species it is, I can’t find it on any website. These Polyclad flatworms often mimic nudibranchs. Many of them don’t have names yet.

That's pretty much what I expected. My guess is that there are as many undescribed species of flatworms as there are described ones --- maybe more.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements