Sign in to follow this  
echeng

WETPIXEL MIGRATION THREAD, JAN 2004

Hi, guys. Report bugs and feature requests here, and I'll see what I can do. We'll be back to running smoothly in no time. :lol:

As some of you may have noticed, private messages have not been migrated from the old side. Actually, I think they are here, but I have turned on unified PM, which means that PMs sent from the board use the main site's PM system.

The old board is up at: http://t7.cwihosting.com/~wetpixel/forums/

You can go there to retrieve and export them using the "Export" feature.

Please make sure your profile is accurate. You will have to upload a new avatar. To use your old avatar, you can right-click on your old avatar in the old forums (if you can still access it). Copy the image location, and paste it into the "Upload Avatar from a URL:" field in your forum Profile.

I can't see this field "Upload Avatar from a URL:" I can only select a few gif or upload and nothing happens. I had no avatar on the old board.

Please make sure your profile is accurate. You will have to upload a new avatar. To use your old avatar, you can right-click on your old avatar in the old forums (if you can still access it). Copy the image location, and paste it into the "Upload Avatar from a URL:" field in your forum Profile.

I can't see this field "Upload Avatar from a URL:" I can only select a few gif or upload and nothing happens. I had no avatar on the old board.

The "upload avatar" feature was enabled very recently. I just tried it and it works now. Avatars are currently limited to 8KB and 64x64 in size. You can also link to remote avatars and that works, too.

This is more of a test posting than anything, but i do like the look of the new site. One thing i do miss is the ability to see the headline of the last post on the main forum page. A very minor niggle.

I presume linking photos will be exactly the same as before

Just reposted an item (with image) that I'd posted late on the other board. Everything seems to work OK.

Using a dial-up connection here in Indonesia, the new board seems to be more sluggish than the old one, longer waits for screens to fill in I was hitting a few pages on the old board at the same time, and the difference in response was quite noticeable.

mrfish: i miss that feature as well. :lol: i'll look for a mod that does that. i also need a mod that sends e-mail when a PM is received.

robert: yeah. it is slower. the HTML itself is probably 30% larger (a typical forum page is around 80KB of text, vs 60KB on the old forum). And the code is more complicated. Slower computers may have a harder time rendering the pages. But that's just a guess. I don't think the backend is significantly slower. It is not noticeable slower on broadband.

I'll look into finding a super-lightweight skin to use for the forums, as an option. Dialup users will be able to select that skin instead of using this one.

The "upload avatar" feature was enabled very recently. I just tried it and it works now. Avatars are currently limited to 8KB and 64x64 in size. You can also link to remote avatars and that works, too.

Thank's for the incentive, I found the way to upload it.

Everyone should check their signature to make sure it's what they want. The migration software appeared to convert the signatures from bbCode to HTML, so if you had any formatting information it's likely to be broken. The new BB software supports the same codes so you simply need to convert it back by hand.

um my signature for starters is too long, and secondly .. they are converted to html ? and the clever bit is .. it left the option for always allow html off ... so my signature didnt work at all ..

I will test it now .. with this post, see what it is doing .. but everytime I alter my profile i get the signatre is too long message.

Giles

ps .. signature still not working ? should i try putting it back in BB ? i am sure you can see my signature below .. it is correct html .. just too long.

oh and also .. my avatar disappeared from te last gallery i guess as it has been moved, but i am sure i can deal with that !

Im sure people may agree or disagree with this, but sue to the new layout there is limited space for the images on my screen in the forums

im thinking i have maybe 800 pixels comfortably fitting in the message for an image .. i dont know what resolution most people have on their screens, im 1024 wide .. which gives me about like i say 800 for images .. this must be fairly average ... would it be etiquately correct for us all to post images that fit that criteria so we dont all have to scroll to see the entire image ?

just a thought,

Giles

It is hard for most people to see images 800 pixels wide in a web page. Having a wider text area actually has been shown to make the text itself harder to read as well. No one likes to read text that is sprawled out over a wide area.

I try not to post images wider than 675 pixels, myself.

I think we may be running parrallel universes too - Sometimes it's there, then sometimes it's something else, but different. This applies more to profile settings, avatars signatures etc. I've set mine up several times now - nothing changes, I go back and just find fried coding displayed in the boxes!

Sometimes the quick replies catapult you into the more formal messaging when you try to post them... Spooky

Quick replies only catapult you to formal messaging if you hit "Reply to topic" or "Post new topic" instead of hitting "Submit"

And there are two SIGS -- one in the main profile for the site, and one for the forums. :lol:

:oops: Sometimes it helps to be a mushroom!

I just went to both areas and they are identical! No avatar controls there either, just Kentucky fried code.

:lol:

Bob - What are you talking about?? Can you repeat the problem, in plain, AMERICAN English? :lol:

So you have two identical sigs, but sometimes it doesn't show up? Any old message has the sig inlined, I believe. So any message before the migration will have the old sig just stuck in there as part of the message.

I see your sig. It says, "God meant fish to be loved not eaten..."

ps .. signature still not working ? should i try putting it back in BB ? i am sure you can see my signature below .. it is correct html .. just too long.

Hi, Giles. The max signature length should be 255 characters. If it is longer than that, you'll have to prune it.

You are not being clear about the problem. And neither is Bob. :lol:

"Have you never tried getting sense out of a mature blue whale before?

I had that problem Giles... It's gobbed up with coding, taking it over the 250 limit. Strip the code off and try again.

The problem is in the postNuke department when I try to use the 'Posh' text in the signature and extra info. boxes. I get them the way I want em, submit/save changes; whatever. Then the link which is supposed to take me back to the profile doesn't! Have to come back in through the front door!

Nothing appears changed in the signature line of my posts, so back in I go to the PN profile and just find boxes full of code wrapped around and in among my signature and extra info.

Yeah. It's probably set not to support fancy sigs. Personally, I'm happier not allowing strange html in sigs, anyway. It leaves open the possibility of people doing bad things.

In postnuke, you have to use HTML. But here, you have to use BBCode.

It actually worked whilst we were testing - I had my signature in green with tiny text under it like yours is now!

So perhaps the moral of the story is to do some private testing before posting. :lol::unsure::blink:

So perhaps the moral of the story is to do some private testing before posting. :unsure::blink::(

all of the letters are worn off the keypad, as are my fingerprints and everything within reach has bruises :? :(:lol:

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements