Sign in to follow this  
echeng

WETPIXEL MIGRATION THREAD, JAN 2004

In the news page. it's just the right-hand bar that you're missing, anyway, right?

Yes, but that's where the long awaited POTW is ;)

I just thought it was strange that it would refresh correctly the other day but now won't refresh correctly at all. Nothing has changed on my side as far as my browser goes so I thought it might be something that was changed on your end.

Yeah.. nothing has changed on my side, either. It's very, very strange.

It is working great for me still in

Firefox (rocks)

Firebird

IE6

I have had to relog in once due to my settings but I have no problems at all with firefox I am as happy as a pig in shit with this new browser ... but I highly do not recommend thunderbird as an email client, i like their spam function but as a general email client its shit.

Giles

Eric, I've tried deleting all old cookies, but am still having the autolog in problem very consistently now. I can't seem to stay logged in when I return via bookmark.

Jack

Jack - I've seen people have this problem when they are not using wetpixel.com or www.wetpixel.com. Are you using the old corvette ip address, or the old 64.* ip address?

To everyone:

I really need more information when trying to debug these sorts of problems. At the minimum, I need to know the EXACT steps necessary to reproduce the problem, what operating system/browser you are using, how you are getting to wetpixel (which URL), and... I think that's it. :) The majority of users aren't having this problem anymore, so there must be something different about your setups, or the way you are using the site.

I'd love to get this figured out sometime soon. :(

Eric, thanks for the hard work on this. I have this problem nearly 100% of the time.

I am using MacOS X 10.3.2, with Safari 1.2 v125. I have the browser set to only accept cookies from sites that I navigate to, and indeed I have several varieties of wetpixel cookies (which I have previously deleted, per your instructions a couple of steps above). I have Safari set to block pop-up windows, although I have tried it with this setting turned off with no difference in behavior.

I use a bookmark to www.wetpixel.com, and from there I click on the "Forums" link under then main title banner.

From there, the only link available to me related to finding new posts is "Find unanswered posts". I click on the "Log-ins" link, and log in with the "remember me" (or whatever it says) checkbox checked. From there, I am able to click on the "View posts since last visit" link with successful results.

But the auto-login thing is definitely broken for me.

Additionally, the link on the forums (for any given unread forum) that would take me to the first unread post takes me only to the top of the page containing the first unread post, rather than to the post itself, leading me to believe there is a bug in the way Safari interprets anchors (or whatever analogous technology your forums use). I encounter this same bug when I click on the "last post" button on the forum index of any given forum (i.e., if I made the last post on a forum topic, my name would be listed with an icon next to it that should take me directly to my post, presumably).

FWIW, I do not encounter these bugs on other forums I frequent (e.g., http://www.northwestdiver.com/forums/index.php )

I hope this helps, and thanks again!

-david

David - can you try using Firebird to see if the problem is specific to Safari?

The port of this forum software is relatively new, and fixes will be released over time. I felt that full site integration was worth compromising some of the slicker forum features we use to have, and for that, I apologize. But over time, these small bugs will be ironed out, and we'll be back to rock-solid stability.

--

The link only going to the top of the page is a known problem. Ike has been harrassing me about this for weeks now. :)

Hopefully, this will be fixed by the open source community soon. I don't want to try to fix that myself, yet. It will be quite an involved fix, and future upgrades would require much more work as well.

Having said that, when I have time, I'll look into it.

Hi Eric,

Wanted you to know that I have downloaded Firefox (which is v .8 of what used to be called "Firebird") and tried it out. No luck... still getting the auto-login problem, with both browsers.

It seems to me that it is perhaps time-limited. For instance, if I go away from wetpixel for just a few minutes and then come backm I will remain logged in. However, if I go away for longer, and then come back, I have to manually log in again.

It's not a big deal to me, as I will continue to frequent the site regardless, but thought I would do what I can to help you isolate the problem.

As a FWIW, I am unimpressed with Firefox when compared to Safari. Safari feels much faster to me, and I like that Safari renders buttons and stuff using OSX's Aqua look and feel. I also like how Safari integrates with OSX's security. But I will keep Firefox around as it's nice to have a second browser to see how things are rendered differently (and it helped me find a CMS bug that I didn't know I had).

Let me know if I can help out at all, and again, thanks!!!

-david

Safari has gotten better with each release. The first versions were simply not standards compliant.

This is mind boggling. I use both Firefox and IE on the PC, and have no problems with getting logged out, regardless of how much time I spend away from the machine (as long as it's within the 7 days I have the expiration set for).

The rest of you on Macs out there -- do you have problems as well? I can't imagine that Macs would treat cookies differently.

My experience is totally ditto of David's (Hi David!). Recreates the same way and _does_ seem time weighted.

I re-bookmarked the site, tossed my cookies :-) and it still doesn't work.

Jack

Jack: And can you tell me more about your browsing environment?

Eric; My environment is the same as David's. As I said - ditto experience.

Jack

I'm using Safari 1.0 (v85) with 10.28. No problems what so ever.

Clear your cache, delete all wetpixel cookies, delete all bookmarks and type the address in the address bar. Navigate to the forum, log in with remember me checked and create a new bookmark. I had the same problem, but I believe it was related to the interim server. Everything seems to work fine now. OS-X 10.3.2 and Safari 1.1.1

Thank you, Jeff.

Sorry, guys. Just not working for me here. Followed the steps above (actually had followed most of them already, but I repeated them). I am running Safari 1.2 v125, OSX 10.3.2. I do regular maintenance on my system so everything is running fine and I don't have this problem with other boards.

I just tried it again with IE on my Mac and it does the same thing. And yes, I cleared the cache and any old cookies out.

Jack

Agreed, Jack. I ran the same "cleaning exercise" outlined above with no positive results. And I didn't expect positive results either, since my install of Firefox was brand-new (today), and Firefox doesn't touch or talk to Safari in any way. In other words, if the problems we were encountering were due to corrupt legacy information held somewhere in Safari, then Firefox wouldn't exhibit the same symptoms.

Is it possible that perhaps the Mac uses some sort of different "time code stamp" that Wetpixel's cookies aren't understanding? IOW, perhaps a cookie compares a date-time stamp with the server and the local computer, and the Mac stores date/time information in a way that is different than PCs?

I dunno. Just an idea, since this seems to be time-related.

Again, don't kill yourself trying to work this out, because it's not going to cause me to quit visiting the site in any way. But I would also concur with Jack's experience that these are the only forums I have encountered where this is an issue....

-d

(oh, and Hi Jack! Nice to "see" you again! :) )

Sorry guys. I know how frustrating problems like this can be. But, it apparently has something to do with your ISP, your security settings or some other variable. I upgraded to Safari 1.2v125 so that I could say with confidence that it is neither a OS-X nor a Safari issue.

Since you're both so close, maybe Evil Bill is putting out his voodoo. :)

Safari 1.2v125, OS X 10.3.2... I have "sporadic" autologin problems. I have been fine for the last four or five days, then I will have a day where everytime I hit the site I need to log in. Sadly I have seen no rhyme or reason to the problem, I will keep an eye out for patterns in timing and so on.

I have the same experience occasionally with robgalbraith.com forums and the nikondigital.org forums, but they are much less frequent than at Wetpixel. It certainly is an issue that began after the server migration.

It's weird. I'm running IE 6.0 on XP SP I and since yesterday, I'm getting the same thing. It's worked fine for the past weeks...well maybe I've had to re-log-in af ter a week's time or so but now, everytime i hit the site, I'm having to re-log-in. Nothing's changed in my setup. Firewall is set up to accept cookies so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Auto login has worked off and on. Right now it's not working. W2K SP4/Netscape 7.1 All cookies deleted, etc., etc.

Seems to be very much time-weighted. If I return to the page in 5 mins or so, I have no problem, after that, even leaving it open in another tab, it doesn't allow auto log-on.

Btw: I had a brain-fart and went into my keychain and deleted wetpixel refs there also to no avail.

Jack

My brain has been farting for some time over this problem.

I had problems staying logged in on the OLD forums when I was in Indonesia last. I think it may be connection-dependent.

Having said that, there obviously is some way to fix it, since it doesn't happen on some sites. I wonder if those sites always carry the session ID around in the URL, as a backup for lost cookies.

internet lingo is strange, no? :)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements