tunc

Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Zoom Barrel Diameter

Hi Everybody ,

Sorry to bother you for this , but this forum is the only place i can get a correct answer .Hope you can help me out .

I need the exact diameter of the zoom Barrel on the above mentioned New lens from Sigma ( 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM).

I don't have access to it at the moment and i have to pass the info trough to my friend back home to make me a zoom gear for my Nexus housing.

I am on a little bit remote area at the moment ,

So thanks in advance if any one can help me out with this ,

Best Regards,

I don't have that lens (I have the old version, pre-OS and pre-HSM) but Sigmaphoto.com shows the diameter at 3.1 inches (79mm) and from the picture it appears that the zoom ring is the largest diameter of the lens (matches the plastic rim around the filter threading almost perfectly). The grippy-tape on the focus ring is pretty 'deep' (notches) and somewhat compliant so you've probably got a tiny bit of play available there with something sort of compressive as the clamp. The bigger issue is going to be you can't make the clamp too tight (has to have some stretch) because the front ring of the lens is almost exactly the same diameter as the zoom ring, and the mount collar area with the AF/MF switch will end up needing a bigger clearance to get any clamp over. (The mount area is slightly smaller diameter but the switch sticks out a fair amount).

I hope that helps a little...maybe not enough for a precision build....

Hi Everybody ,

Sorry to bother you for this , but this forum is the only place i can get a correct answer .Hope you can help me out .

I need the exact diameter of the zoom Barrel on the above mentioned New lens from Sigma ( 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM).

I don't have access to it at the moment and i have to pass the info trough to my friend back home to make me a zoom gear for my Nexus housing.

I am on a little bit remote area at the moment ,

So thanks in advance if any one can help me out with this ,

Best Regards,

Ryan at reef photo made a gear for the Sigma 17-70 DC HSM MACRO BUT NOT OS on my Nexus D80 M5. Try him at:

reef photo and video

Bob

That's the 2nd generation one (newer than mine, which didn't have HSM), but very close to the quoted 79mm max diameter for the 17-70mm 1:2.8-4.0 DC MACRO OS HSM as well as what the Sigma webpage shows (same 79mm) for the 2.8-4.5 MACRO HSM you actually measured.

Safe enough to assume the 2.8-4.0 OS version will be the same.

Edited by rtrski

Hi Everybody, I am so sorry to get back to you so late about this topic , i appreciate your help in this one ,thanks so much . Still working on it tough :)

Regards,

Sponsors

Advertisements