Sign in to follow this  
Fontaine

Help Please! Need to convert my wirelessly triggered strobes to FO cable triggered

I recently bought two Sea and Sea YS-90DX strobes off of the wetpixel classifieds site. To my dismay they are the type of strobes that are triggered wirelessly with no FO cable, I have a sea and sea RDX housing that completely encloses the flash so these new strobes are of no use unless I can get creative.

I am toying with the idea of putting my old strobe where my focus light goes to act as the strobe trigger (this would be no good for night diving or macro as i need a focus light), but ideally I would like to be able to get a Sea and Sea adapter that converts my wireless strobes into wired ones. Please forgive my lack of correct terminology as I am a beginner. My other option is to only use one of the new strobes and my old YS 27 which would be hard wired in and trigger the new one but I dont want to do this as I need a more powerful strobe for WA. The last and most expensive option is to just buy new strobes. If you have any other suggestions I would be hugely grateful.

Please has anyone had this problem, what is the best way to overcome it??? I called reef photo and video and they said an adapter does exist but is no longer sold, I cant find any for sale on the web, so it looks like I will need to get creative.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Peter

look at: http://www.seaandsea.com/PDF_manuals/YS90DX.pdf

your strobes can be fired by fiber optic cable or by a electronic sync cable

looks like i need to get my hands on two sea and sea fiber optic retaining rings, which of course nobody sells (actually reef and photo have them on their website) and which did not come with my strobes.

I can only use the sync cord if i have a nikonos adapter which needs to be installed by the guys at reef photo who need to pressure test the rig before it can be used, i live in indonesia so this option is out of the question.

Does anybody have two sea and sea fiber optic retaining rings I can buy please?!?!? :laugh:

Edited by HappyBubblz

Contact Reef Photo, I am sure they can get you the ring and fiber optic cables

Where in Bali are you? I am envious since I love the diving there.

Edited by eyu

Contact Reef Photo, I am sure they can get you the ring and fiber optic cables

Where in Bali are you? I am envious since I love the diving there.

I am confused because ive called reef photo twice about this, the first time the lady said Sea and Sea have some sort of adapter but dont sell them anymore... today i called a second time, before realizing they had the retaining rings on their website and the guy didnt even mention these things, he just said i wouldnt be able to use the FOC with that strobe, uggghh. now today (after reading the manual) ive gone onto the reef photo website and see that they do in fact sell the the retaining rings arrgggh!!!! This is all probably due to bad communication on my part im sure, but geez talk about being confused!!!

Anyway Ive just sent them a long email and hopefully all the confusion will be sorted, and I will be the proud new owner of two Sea and Sea FOC retaining rings and all will be well!

I am in Umalas (in between Canguu and Seminyak) and can not wait to get back to test out my new WA set up! My work takes me away from Bali too much!

In looking at the manual, besides the rings you will need sea & sea fiber optic cables. The sea & sea fiber optic cables appear to have a special end that attaches to the strobe.

In looking at the manual, besides the rings you will need sea & sea fiber optic cables. The sea & sea fiber optic cables appear to have a special end that attaches to the strobe.

Ive got the cables already, so if i can manage to get the retaining rings i should be good to go.

Thanks for the help!

Ive got the cables already, so if i can manage to get the retaining rings i should be good to go.

Thanks for the help!

The good people at Reef Phote have sorted the confusion out, I can use synch cables with my RDX housing so thats what im going to do, the retaining rings are no longer sold so they are not an option. I am very happy that its all sorted!

Why don't you just check with Vimal @ Divemaster in Sanur? They are the local S&S dealer.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements