Steve Douglas

Flash unit for Canon 7D

Recently got the Canon 7D so I am still learning it. What is the recommended flash unit that one would purchase for topside photo work?

Steve

Recently got the Canon 7D so I am still learning it. What is the recommended flash unit that one would purchase for topside photo work?

Steve

That would kind of depend how much flash power you need and if you want to stick with a Canon Flash or go with an aftermarket brand. My wife has a 580EX that she uses with her 5D and it is really a great flash. You can find them used in the $300 range but if you don't need that much flash then I would consider either the 430 EX or EX II which will save some dough. I have a Metz that I have used for many years and I think Sunpak still makes a good product. You may want to pop over to the Canon photo forum and sniff around: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Steve

I have a Canon 430EX-II. I really like it. It is almost as powerful as the more expensive 580, and has all the features I need.

When attached to the camera you can tilt and swivel it to gain better lighting. It can focus to a fairly long distance when using tele.

For close-ups, a useful accessory is a "bounce" which softens and diffuses light.

You can use the 430EX-II also as a remote-controlled flash with the 7D. This is a really cool feature and allows you to get really creative.

I have both the 580exII and the 430exII, for occasional/average use, then the 430 will do it. If you're doing say weddings or birding with say a Better Beamer, then the 580 with an external 8 AA cel pack is hard to beat. Just depends on your needs and thickness of wallet. Recycle time of the 580exII with the pack is near instantaneous even at full power.

S.

Yup, either of the Canon Speedlights are great. Look no further...

Much thanks all for the advice and insight. Appreciate it.

Steve

One last thing, what are the main differences between the 580EX and the 430EX? Advantages and disadvantages.

Steve

The 580 is bigger and more powerful. It will also act as a master for triggering other wireless Canon strobes but the 7D also has a small built in trigger with its internal flash. The 430 will act as a slave in Multi / Stroboscopic but not a master. They are both good strobes but the 580 is a big strobe to lug around if you don't need the extra power and features. I do think the 580's buttons are easier to navigate. Personally I would go for the 580 but if you have a shop that you can compare them side by side at that may make your decision easier. Whatever one you decide on get yourself one of the Sto-Fen plastic diffusers. It's a great little modifier and will improve the look of most of your images.

Edited by twinner

Sponsors

Advertisements