Sign in to follow this  
Don Silcock

Papua New Guinea: Some Travel tips....

Just got back from a 2.5 week trip to Kimbe Bay in PNG and thought I would share some new travel tips I learned this time round - my 12th trip there.

- The ugly bit was on the first morning when I checked in at Qantas in Sydney. I realized that I had made a big mistake by booking the flight to Port Moresby on Frequent Flyer points because even though the flight from Brisbane to Port Moresby was on Air Nuigini (Qantas code share partner) nobody at the domestic terminal in Sydney knew anything about the 15kg divers allowance. $430 of excess baggage later I was on my way...

- Could not get any sense out of Air Nuigini at Brisbane about the excess baggage apart from the excellent advice offered of "claim it back on your tax...." to which I pointed out that I needed to earn something first!

- Lesson learned was to get seperate flights and check in bags with Air Nuigini at Brisbane to be sure of getting the diving allowance.

- The hand luggage police at Brisbane International appear to have stopped wieghing carry-on luggage...

- I got one of the APEC travel cards about 12 months ago but this was the first time I used it going into PNG - it worked a treat and I was in the domestic terminal within 25 minutes of landing! There are three queues at Port Moresby immigration; APEC/Diplomatic, PNG national/resident and "visa on arrival" so I went to the APEC one which was completely empty and nobody in the booth. I showed the APEC card to the person in national/resident booth and she summoned me over, stamped my passport and I was through. My bags came within a few minutes and I was out of there!

- They are enforcing check-in baggage wieght limits on the domestic flights but will give you the 15kg divers allowance if you ask for it... There are also several prominent signs about one bay only @ 5kg for carry-on, plus a set of scales as you go through but nobody seemed to be enforcing the limit.

- Flight left on time and I was at Walindi by 18.00 just 11 hours after leaving Sydney - brilliant when it all works...

Don

Thanks for sharing as that is good information for people to know.

Cheers

Todd

Last year we booked Singapore Air Los Angeles to Moresby and got two 50lb bags/person at no cost.

For POM to Alotau , there was no extra baggage charge!

Must have been the phase of the moon???

Last year we booked Singapore Air Los Angeles to Moresby and got two 50lb bags/person at no cost.

For POM to Alotau , there was no extra baggage charge!

Must have been the phase of the moon???

I have never had any real issues traveling internally within PNG with dive gear before, but it looks like Air Nuigini are doing the same as virtually every other airline these days and enforcing baggage allowances to raise their bottom lines... I did a 3 week business trip to India recently and got whacked for excess baggage on every internal flight!

The good news is that Air Nuigini has the 15kg allowance for divers and honors it - so long as you ask. I ended up paying about 30 Kina (roughly $10) on the Port Moresby to Hoskins domestic flight after they had granted me the extra.

We can thank the PNG Dive Association for this lobbying of Air Nuigini, and the powers that be, for this.

Don

I hate Brisbane airport! They manage to make my life miserable every time I go to PNG.

Ditto on Brisbane airport, they are a royal pain in the butt!!

I avoid flying though Australia and only do it as a last resort.

Ditto on Brisbane airport, they are a royal pain in the butt!!

I avoid flying though Australia and only do it as a last resort.

Yep, Brisbane International really sucks in my opinion - they seem to be just looking for ways to gouge that last dollar out of their captive "customers" while they can....

Melbourne International were doing the same thing the last few times I passed through and yet Sydney, which I use a lot with my day-job, have not weighing carry-on.

Don

It's not called Brisk Bane for nothing! :D I still think Perth is more draconian though.

Okuma, all airlines have an international PC system reciprocity. If you buy your tix with PC system, you get to go all the way even into domestic. They even give you the extra FF bags you carry from LAX, but the tix have to be issued altogether. It's usually more expensive than separating.

Also many people from the US don't use the HKG connection. Air Niugini tix are significantly cheaper in HKG than from SIN. Cathay is very nice from LAX and has similar flight times from LAX. Shorter flight too.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements