Some DX Nikons do this too. Such as D2X. In more than 100,000 photos I used it once. Crop afterwards, why both in camera. I have never bothered on FX Nikons either. The only justifiable need is for the 10-17mm. I really like that lens - but I have had the luxury to travel with both FX and DX systems this year - and find I would often not use, even when it was there. For every other lens - why not crop afterwards - if that is what you want to do.

Anyway, the point I wanted to make was that just about every Nikon photographer I know (apart from D7000 owners) is desperate to upgrade. Mainly because everyone feels it is time! Most people have been used to upgrading more regularly than then current Nikon cycle (with additional delays from natural disasters) has allowed. Every D300/D3/D700 shooter is itching for a new toy! Whatever Nikon releases next will sell and sell.

Lets hope it is a good one - they will sell a lot before we find out! Personally I would like to see a D4 with 18MP and D3s noise levels (a bit like what the 1DX is!).

Alex

Personally I would like to see a D4 with 18MP and D3s noise levels (a bit like what the 1DX is!).

I would like this as well but in a D700 body

I would like this as well but in a D700 body

I'm still hoping for some sort of breakthrough in sensor binning which would (possibly) be better than just having a DX mode. I will be totally surprised if the D800 is not at least as good as the D700 in terms of high ISO noise.

Edited by johnspierce

Not convinced that the pictures and specs of the new D800 is the real deal. The camera looks some one had some fun in photoshop melding a D7000 with a D700 and calling it a D800. Furthermore, a 36 mgp sensor as an the answer for resolution, unless Nikon has something really really new in sensor technology. Even Canon is coming to their senses that 18 to 24 is the right range for FX format cameras.

Anyway, the point I wanted to make was that just about every Nikon photographer I know (apart from D7000 owners) is desperate to upgrade.

Alex

Not me :)

Not me :)

I heard you actually want to downgrade back to your D70 :)

I still think the D70 is a better camera with that 1/500 sync than anything available! :)

I still think the D70 is a better camera with that 1/500 sync than anything available! :)

Yeah, what the heck is up with that? When I switched off my D70 I couldn't believe all the 'newer' cameras couldn't match it for flash sync!

I will hang on to my D-300 for at least another round because I really shoot only macro and super macro. If I was younger (than 70 1/2) I would upgrade. So Alex is correct. I have the itch but not yet bad enough.

Tom

Just used the D7000 for a month, and it's really a marvelous camera. For underwater work it's near perfect. You can probably buy 3 of them for the price of 1 D800 :) Or a D7000 + housing for the price of a D800. For land use, the D7000 is limiting. I was reminded of that again during an 'interesting' komodo dragon shoot, where the limited buffer was a problem.

Just used the D7000 for a month, and it's really a marvelous camera. For underwater work it's near perfect. For land use, the D7000 is limiting. I was reminded of that again during an 'interesting' komodo dragon shoot, where the limited buffer was a problem.

That's why I don't understand the premise of this thread:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42901&hl=

It is not the flash re-cycle that limits the D7000 in action shooting, it is the buffer. Although I think that those electrical to optical converters are cool!

Alex

It does seem useful for non-flash cameras like the 1 and 5 series who don't want wired sync cords.

Just used the D7000 for a month, and it's really a marvelous camera. For underwater work it's near perfect. You can probably buy 3 of them for the price of 1 D800 :) Or a D7000 + housing for the price of a D800. For land use, the D7000 is limiting. I was reminded of that again during an 'interesting' komodo dragon shoot, where the limited buffer was a problem.

That's why, at least in theory, having one camera that can do it all is attractive to me (or at least having the same body for everything). I like FX and DX for different applications, sometimes I want high frame rate, sometimes high res may be more important, other times low light ability is the main thing. Sometimes I wish the reach of my telephoto would be longer, and sometimes I want my 10-17. And I don't want a camera as big as the D3 if possible. It remains to be seen if the D800 will be such a camera. I am most skeptical about it's low light performance. Yes, and I wish it had the D70's flash synch rate, would be ideal for pool work to get black backgrounds.

I know, I want, I want, I want.......

Edited by loftus

That's why I don't understand the premise of this thread:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42901&hl=

It is not the flash re-cycle that limits the D7000 in action shooting, it is the buffer. Although I think that those electrical to optical converters are cool!

I just ran a test with my D7000. Seems I can only get one flash and exposure when I have the camera shutter set at "continuous high" and using the pop up flash, until I lift my finger off the shutter button and press it down again when it will fire again, and so on.

If I connect my SB800 flash to the hotshoe on the D7000, then it operates as you would expect, giving a continuous stream of flash exposures until you lift your finger off the shutter button.

I think the members posting in that thread are trying to get around this limitation by mimicking the SB8oo flash (in my case) inside the housing to trigger their fibre optic controlled flash in a sequential fashion.

I could very well be wrong about the popup flash with the shutter set on continuous high, and if so, please provide the appropriate camera setting to get the D7000 to do this.

Hope that helps.

Alex, the premise of that thread is that once the D7000 drains the internal flash, it take _forever_ to recharge. At 1/128th power it's the internal flash thats the limiter for me. And besides that, like Poliwag says, the D7000 shoots very slow when the popup flash is open. Suppose you have some nice sea&sea 250s, you'd want to be able to machinegun that thing, and not be limited to like 1 shot a second using the popup.

The buffer speed is what keeps me from buying the D7000. I have bumped up against the buffer in my D300 quite a few times even underwater (esp. when trying to shoot Whale Sharks at the surface) and it has a larger buffer than the D7000. I briefly owned a D90 but the buffer limitation made me return it immediately.

The D800 might be a wonderful do-all camera, but I'm still pretty interested (at least for underwater use) in the upcoming D400 since it should be like a super-D7000 :)

I'm also gonna be more interested in a D700 after the D800 comes out. It will be a monster bang for the buck if they have some leftover inventory.

Edited by johnspierce

I'm also gonna be more interested in a D700 after the D800 comes out. It will be a monster bang for the buck if they have some leftover inventory.

Not to mention you will find very, very cheap used ones...

Sell you mine. :)

The latest specs on DigitalRev http://www.digitalrev.com/...he-best-goes-...74-article.html are certainly more beleiveable and realistic than those currently on Nikon Rumors.

Nikon D800 Specs:

Sensor size: 36.0 x 23.9mm Full Frame FX format

Sensor type: CMOS sensor

Sensor resolution: 18 megapixels

ISO Sensitivity: ISO 100 to ISO 12800 (Extendable to 102400)

Continuous Burst Speed: 6fps (8fps in DX mode)

Focus System: Multi-CAM 3500FX 51-point AF

Video Mode: Full HD 1920x1080p (24, 25, 30fps) and 720p (up to 60fps) with Stereo sound & AF

The latest specs on DigitalRev http://www.digitalrev.com/...he-best-goes-...74-article.html are certainly more beleiveable and realistic than those currently on Nikon Rumors.

Nikon D800 Specs:

Sensor size: 36.0 x 23.9mm Full Frame FX format

Sensor type: CMOS sensor

Sensor resolution: 18 megapixels

ISO Sensitivity: ISO 100 to ISO 12800 (Extendable to 102400)

Continuous Burst Speed: 6fps (8fps in DX mode)

Focus System: Multi-CAM 3500FX 51-point AF

Video Mode: Full HD 1920x1080p (24, 25, 30fps) and 720p (up to 60fps) with Stereo sound & AF

Agreed; something like 36MP would make more sense in a 'studio' camera like the D4x. Also makes me more hopeful that low light performance will be top notch, and still decent res cropped with 10-17

Edited by loftus

Agreed; something like 36MP would make more sense in a 'studio' camera like the D4x. Also makes me more hopeful that low light performance will be top notch, and still decent res cropped with 10-17

I fully agree. the specs are much more appearing to me, plus I would love to know if they have done anything regarding video enhancement. Just have to wait till the "official" Nikon announcement on the D800 comes out.

I fully agree. the specs are much more appearing to me, plus I would love to know if they have done anything regarding video enhancement. Just have to wait till the "official" Nikon announcement on the D800 comes out.

18mp sounds *much* more realistic, along with improvements in video and keeping the ISO noise levels down. I would however say $4000 would be a bit high for that camera. Looking at Nikon's model line, around $3k to $3.5k would keep it in a nice spot between D300s(or D400) and D3. I still have a hard time believing Nikon will release the D800 first before the D4, but there are no rumors for that camera, so I guess the D800 will indeed be next.

Edited by johnspierce

Hmmm... Rumors seem to be picking up steam, the guys at NikonRumors swear they have the inside scoop. But I too wished it was 18mp instead of 36 (which I think it's a bit overkill). I also hope it comes out cheaper than $3k, but that's wishful thinking I guess.

Did you guys see the latest from Nikon Rumors? Now they are certain there will be a D4 as well, likely to be introduced together with the D800. Possible (interesting) specs:

- 16.2 MP

- 11 fps

- 100-102,400 native ISO range, expandable to 50 and 204,800

- Face detection/recognition

- Improved video

- Improved 51 AF points

- AF detection range will go down to EV-2.0 (the D3s went to EV -1)

- Autofocus system: 9 cross-type sensors that are operational up to f/8

Sponsors

Advertisements