Sign in to follow this  
Kimmeineche

Someone ever cheked in a camerabody with Ryanair?

Hi All Wetpixel members!

Planning a flight with Ryan Air, I would like to know if someone here ever have cheked in a camera body or other kind of electronics!

Knowing from several reads on the web that Ryan Air has a VERY BAD reputation when it comes to baggage and service I think about how to pack my spare-camerabody and some ekstra lenses!

Can it really be right that Ryan Air doesn't allow any electronics, cameras, etc. in cheked in baggage.... or is it just a way to escape any kind of responsability if someone chek in this kind of gods anyway?

The very best regards and thank you very much in advance for your reply!

/Kim! :-)

Edited by Kimmeineche

Only flew once on Ryanair so I can't say too much about them! Generally, people who pack their cameras and lenses are the pro photogs who pack them in hard cases, usually with a padded backpack inside. That can usually handle all but the most abusive baggage handlers. I've had a Pelican broken once through LAX :D

I suggest you just buy a vest and shove them on your body.

I flew this week with my housing in the hold, but camera in carry on. I fly with Ryanair very regularly as they are the only option between the town/island where I live and the UK.

Ryanair are fine with baggage handling. They have never lost an item of mine. And their flights are very punctual.

However, their whole system is designed to trip you up at each stage of the process - and if you trip up they charge you for it - and they don't accept cash and they charge you for using a card etc etc. They change their rules frequently to increase the chances of catching you out!

That said - if you know all their rules and their idiosyncratic little ways - it is easy to get one up on the system. A great deal of smugness comes from flying for next to nothing and not getting caught out. I just came home with 40kg of luggage and got an extra legroom exit row seat and paid no extra charges. Alex 1, Ryanair 0!

They are strict on the size of carry on - but they have never once enforced/checked the weight of my carry on this year. In previous years they would weigh them at check in and then again at the gate. But this year they haven't cared. Changing the rules, or how they enforce them is very Ryanair.

Alex

p.s. All that said, for divers flying lo-cost in Europe - Easyjet are a better bet. They have no weight limit on carry on (single piece only) and you can pay for an additional dive bag in hold (up to 12kg extra, in addition to 20kg bag).

Thanks Alex!

With 10kg allowed in the carry on baggage I managed to pack my 4 x D200 and 2 x Nexus Housings with in a limit of 15grams! :-) I cheked in my chargers, strobearms, 3D-synchronizer in it's housing, strobecables, etc. and everything arrived well at Malta! BUT.... the carry on baggage was weighed before entering the gate.

We were a group of 20 divers, so lucky me, a friend had space/kg. left enough to take my INON strobes and a bunch of batteries.

So, all in all a happy ending with a reminder of taking weight and size very serious!

The best regards again from the crazy 3D-underwaterphotographer! :-)

/Kim

I flew this week with my housing in the hold, but camera in carry on. I fly with Ryanair very regularly as they are the only option between the town/island where I live and the UK.

Ryanair are fine with baggage handling. They have never lost an item of mine. And their flights are very punctual.

However, their whole system is designed to trip you up at each stage of the process - and if you trip up they charge you for it - and they don't accept cash and they charge you for using a card etc etc. They change their rules frequently to increase the chances of catching you out!

That said - if you know all their rules and their idiosyncratic little ways - it is easy to get one up on the system. A great deal of smugness comes from flying for next to nothing and not getting caught out. I just came home with 40kg of luggage and got an extra legroom exit row seat and paid no extra charges. Alex 1, Ryanair 0!

They are strict on the size of carry on - but they have never once enforced/checked the weight of my carry on this year. In previous years they would weigh them at check in and then again at the gate. But this year they haven't cared. Changing the rules, or how they enforce them is very Ryanair.

Alex

p.s. All that said, for divers flying lo-cost in Europe - Easyjet are a better bet. They have no weight limit on carry on (single piece only) and you can pay for an additional dive bag in hold (up to 12kg extra, in addition to 20kg bag).

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements